Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigpz1981

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2008
I recently purchased a Mac Book Pro and am trying to transfer as much stuff from my previous PC as possible. To do this, I am using an external hard drive that has all of it on it. I finally got around to attempting to transfer all of my photos, but encountered a problem. When I open up the external HD icon, I copied my photos folder from it into the Mac Finder Photos folder. I then went to access that folder, but I can't. The folder has a padlock on it and says that I not authorized to access it. Anyone know how to fix this. Please let me know, thanks.

zahnast

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
The 'Permissions' for your images folder doesn't allow you to access it.

To fix this, click on the folder and hit 'command-i'. At the bottom of the window that comes up you should see 'sharing and permissions'.

There should be 2-4 names there including 'system, admin, everyone, etc'. Where it says your username, change the privilege to 'Read & Write'. (to change these settings you may need to click the lock in the corner and enter your password.)

If you're on Tiger, then click the button 'Apply to enclosing items'. If your on Leopard, then click the drop down menu and click 'Apple to enclosing items'.

bigpz1981

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2008
The 'Permissions' for your images folder doesn't allow you to access it.

To fix this, click on the folder and hit 'command-i'. At the bottom of the window that comes up you should see 'sharing and permissions'.

There should be 2-4 names there including 'system, admin, everyone, etc'. Where it says your username, change the privilege to 'Read & Write'. (to change these settings you may need to click the lock in the corner and enter your password.)

If you're on Tiger, then click the button 'Apply to enclosing items'. If your on Leopard, then click the drop down menu and click 'Apple to enclosing items'.

Wow, that was easy enough. Thanks man...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.