Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chri5ers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Hi there,

I'm looking to sell my top spec G5 Quad to upgrade to an Intel Mac. I need help valuing it primarily, but would also appreciate advice on selling - should I sell it as it is, with its 16GB ram and top Graphics card (Quadro FX4500) or separate these and sell separately? Is eBay the way to go or do any Mac retailers offer part exchange?

Here's the spec:

Apple G5 Quad (4 x 2.5GHz PowerPC G5) [PowerMac Model No: M9592LL], 16GB RAM (Kingston) 250GB hard disk and NVIDIA Quadro FX4500 GPU. It comes with just under 2 years Apple Care cover remaining and loads of software (Final Cut Pro 5, Photoshop CS3, Illustrator CS3, After Effects 6, Microsoft Office 2008, iLife etc).

So what do you think would be a fair price in the second hand market?

The NVIDIA Quadro FX4500 comes with 512MB VRAM, dual-DVI video out (capable of driving two 30'' displays simultaneously) and a stereo 3D port.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Chris

mithrilfox

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2007
Japan
http://www.mac2sell.net/

Get the core value of the system there, minus the software. Add about 5-15% on top of what they tell you, it aims a little low.

As for the software, if you are not including the original install CDs with license keys, it's just pirated software; I don't mean to insinuate that you are doing that, but many people leave software on a system they sell, but keep the original install disks - it's illegal and offers the buyer nothing if he wants to reinstall (no disks, no license).

Use that site above, add 10% or a little less or so, look at what you paid for your software, start docking costs based on how many versions it's behind. If you are selling it with a valid copy of FCS 1, knock it a couple hundred off the price of the software you are including.

Honestly though, you'll make a lot more cash for your sales if you sell the software individually. Bundled systems always get discounted severely. I wouldn't make the software a bonus for a discount price, I'd sell it individually on eBay or Yahoo Auctions or whatever. You'll definitely make more money that way. Besides, anyone serious about video editing who is buying your system will probably already have the software anyway. 

EDIT ADDITION: Good question about selling the RAM with it or separate. It's hard to say, but I think if you sell it with it, you need to stress that. Make sure to stress how you've maxxed the RAM out, and really emphasize how much it is.

chri5ers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Thanks Guys,

I think I'm going to advertise it for £2000 ($3800).

(Leaving the software out of it)

Do you think that's a fair price or is that too hopefull?

Chris

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.