Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old May 29, 2008, 09:16 AM   #1
redsquash
macrumors member

How do you change a powerbook hard disc jumper settings?

A technician tested my optical drive and found it was set to Master..
My readings indicate if the optical drive is to be set to Master , then the Hard disk needs to be set to slave.
Changing the optical to slave seems very difficult, so,

How do I set the hDD jumpers to slave instead . I presume they exist?

I need a link and instructions as to how to perform this on my powerbook G4 1.67ghz
redsquash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2008, 09:25 AM   #2
tersono
macrumors 68000

Uhm - I really can't see what benefit you expect to get from doing this. I would strongly advise that you leave well alone - unless the computer is having a problem recognising one or other drive, in which case you should refer it to a qualified Apple service centre.
Old May 29, 2008, 10:46 AM   #3
redsquash
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tersono View Post
Uhm - I really can't see what benefit you expect to get from doing this. I would strongly advise that you leave well alone - unless the computer is having a problem recognising one or other drive, in which case you should refer it to a qualified Apple service centre.
My optical drive is not recognised because both HDD and optical drive are set to master .
One needs to be slave.There are no jumpers on the optical drive
Apple Japan charge a minimum$520 for any repair.Let me say that again ,,,,,,,,,,,$520 .........
Why should I leave well alone. I have not changed a notebook drive but it is only a matter of unscrewing and removing a ribbon cable
What part are you warning me against and why ?
Have you done this?
I Have no experience, except I have removed my optical drive 4 times in 3 days . Each attempt has been less nerve racking, though I think It is probably easy to damage the ribbon cables
redsquash is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs