Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jb60606

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Chicago
I'm using the bluetooth Apple ultra-thin keyboard. While I like it's small size, and wireless freedom; I miss the numeric keypad.

A simple solution would be to purchase a numeric keypad, but if it's not wireless, it defeats the purpose of using the Bluetooth keyboard.

I found Logitech's cordless numeric keypad, but looks like it lacks mac support.

Has anyone used it before, or perhaps know of an alternative?

Thanks in advance.

brandonzar

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2008
I'm in the same boat, I am really sick of the "keypad" on my mbp. There is one report of Logitech's wireless keypad not working with Mac on amazon, but it is only one account and I don't know how reliable it is. I would really like to know for sure if it would work.

suprajoe

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
This would be really cool to have with my setup as well. I have the wireless keyboard, and love it, but do miss the numerical key pad. I will have to do some searching and find out.

tonyespinoza

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2008
also bought the keypad...

it's really well designed... posting here in the hopes that someday someone posts a link to software i can install to make it work on my mac!!!

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England

errol

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
Your sig says you have an iPhone; have you considered the numberkey application which allows you to use that as a wireless numeric keypad.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=291672903&mt=8

That's really clever. Unfortunately, another family member "borrowed" the phone. Maybe I'll have to pick up another one just for this purpose! But, in reality, I don't think that will work because people who are used to 10-keys will tell you that they need strong tactile feedback in order to operate it without actually seeing the device.

Terry Stibal

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2008
South of Houston TX
In my never ending quest to find a working wireless keypad, I bought this nifty (and cheap) Microsoft keyboard with a keypad, both supposed to work with bluetooth.

The keyboard worked just fine, and so did the keypad - until I upgraded my system software to Snow Leopard. Bye bye keypad from that point forward.

I've fallen back to a USB cable version. But, it's got a short cable and is really a nuisance as it occupies one of the two USB ports.

I would love to get a keypad version of the Apple wireless keyboard. We have one of those for the iPad, but no keypad, alas.

jb60606

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Chicago

Terry Stibal

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2008
South of Houston TX
And I as well...

It looks too good to be true. Let's just hope that it offers true compatibility. And, that it becomes a real product real soon. I plan to buy two of the things.

All of the others that I have bought (three to date) have very serious pairing problems. (For example, the computer keeps asking for me to hit a particular key on a standard keyboard.) The one that was touted as being made to work with Macintosh system stuff was so clunky that it was anything but portable. And, it only worked intermittently - nothing like ploughing along in your tax return, only to have it crap out halfway through.

Occasionally with the others that I have tried, I get by all of that in the Bluetooth setup procedure, and get a "this is not a regular keyboard" option, and then get limited connectivity with that. But this is not a reliable method.

Incidentally, the Microsoft keyboard portion of the keyboard/keypad package pairs up just fine. Kinda makes you wonder just where Apple's head is on this one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.