Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MorzillA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Miami
This question might have been answered already so feel free to call me a doofus!!!
I just bought a GE PC Stereo Headset that according to the box it's "Great for quality sound in chat, interactive gaming or internet phone applications..." and "ideal for voice recognition software or dictation".
I would like to start recording my voice using Garageband '08 since it asks what to do " podcast, new song, etc., etc." but I was not able to do so. I thought it was the headphones but they work great in my g/f's laptop.
So, what am I doing wrong!?

:apple:

sharky05

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2007
Make sure your mic is plugged in, go to system preferences, then to 'sound', and click the 'input' tab

Make sure 'audio line in' or something similar is selected in the list, and talk into your mic. if you see the blue meter dancing, you have sound coming into your mac. Try adjusting the 'input volume' so you get a healthy level (should be about 3/4 during normal speech).

If you can't get anything out of the blue meter, check your mic is plugged into the correct port - most headset mics have 2 jacks on them, one for mic and one for the earphone speaker, so make sure you have the right one in each port.

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
England
BTW, the input on your Mac is not a microphone port. It's a line in. I believe you would need a preamp or something.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.