Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

werther

Suspended
May 15, 2006
Im my opinion its dull and uninteresting.

no, please tell us how you really feel :)

I don't think it's bad at all. Looks pretty clean. It is just a personal blog, is it not? Under your posts you do provide a bit many options for social bookmarking.

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
Okay, I looked and although I feel "dull and uninteresting" is a bit harsh and cold to say, I understand why the reviewer felt that way.

It is sparse and mundane. That means alot of white space (there is delicate balance between too little and too much) and it looks like a million other sites - no sense of personal style or commitment to a unique layout. It's as if you took a template, changed a few colors and fonts, added a few graphics and that's that. Templates are starting points for customization to personalize a site, because users appreciate attention to detail. And the detail makes the site easier to use if done within limits, i.e. I'm not asking for major layout changes of any kind.

I suggest the following to add a better balance of blank space vs. content and also jazz up the layout:
  • Use very thin and very light gray border around each element in the panel on the right.
  • Use some color in the masthead font, add some shadow effects or background image to liven up the masthead in general
  • Add a 1/2 inch black margin on the far left and right only below the masthead
  • Reduce the size of the "Subscribe" graphic on the top right and include text so people know to click it to subscribe to that feed. Copy it to the bottom and include top/bottom anchors.
  • The poll might look better if it had a light gray background and it's own thin border
  • Use the same red color where it says "Nocct-Nikkor" for the headings for each dialog in the panel on the right
  • Use bold and that red color for emphasizing certain words in the left side portion where the blog would show.
Get the idea? Simple CSS stuff, applying borders, colors to emphasize and help the user see the various separate components more easily. And the masthead can be stylized more to make the page stand out from the rest.

Hope this helps explain what to consider working and why. As usual, this is purely my opinion, everyone has one.

-jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.