Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kithands

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2008
Beware 10.5.3 is corrupting files saved over a network. Adobe says it never supported saving over a network. Checkout Adobe forum. Have spent a whole day trying to figure why files being corrupted after update to 10.5.3 Arrrgh!!!!

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
I guess this leads to the obvious question...

Why are you editing files that aren't local? Surely it makes sense to copy them to your local drive, work on them and then copy them back over the network.

Leaving files open over the network means that you've got no way back if a corruption/crash happens.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
I guess this leads to the obvious question...

Why are you editing files that aren't local? Surely it makes sense to copy them to your local drive, work on them and then copy them back over the network.

Leaving files open over the network means that you've got no way back if a corruption/crash happens.
Uhh... because you don't always work at the same computer?

I use two PCs and an iMac for production and I keep all files on a shared network drive which is backed up daily. For heaven's sake, there's about 50 million designers doing the same thing as we speak, that's how people work. Adobe really needs to get their heads out of their rear ends if they're seriously not supporting saving over the network, it's 2008 not 1988.

I used to work locally and copy to shared storage later, but keeping everything in sync was a time- and energy consuming nightmare so I switched to working directly against the network a few years ago. It's been working like a dream as long as I was on PC only, and on the iMac up until now, but leave it to Apple and their 'bubble boy' OS to screw things up with every damn update...

Anyway, kithands, thanks for the heads up, phew. Luckily I didn't lose any work today, I had planned to work on some graphics but things got in the way.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I fail to see how the OP's issue has anything to do with 10.5.3 update, this is about Adobe.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
It was working with 10.5.2

Isn't working with 10.5.3

see?

I see, however what confused me is the OP saying that Adobe said they never supported saving files over a network so it didn't sound like he had it working before or if it was ever suppose to work according to Adobe.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
I fail to see how the OP's issue has anything to do with 10.5.3 update, this is about Adobe.
The graphics/print/web business has stuck with Apple through thick and thin for ages. They, along with musicians, were the ones who bought Apple computers in the mid 90's when nobody else did. And Photoshop is arguably the most critical app in said business. How many times has Steve Jobs gotten up on stage and used Photoshop to demonstrate how fast this or that new Mac is? You'd think that it would be in Apple's interest to make pretty damned sure that OS upgrades are associated with smooth sailing for Photoshop users. Having to keep track of both Apple's updates and Adobe's fixes for those updates is hardly what I would call smooth sailing.

A platform is, as the name suggests, something stable and secure, something you should be able to trust. On the 'other' platform, Windows, you can dig a 10 year old application out of a drawer and it will run on Vista, at least in compatibility mode. It seems that Apple's idea of a platform is something that can change overnight without notice. One day you get out on the platform and it's made of concrete, the next day it's Jell-O. "What, your apps don't run? Not our problem".

It may be up to Adobe to fix it, but it's Apple's problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.