Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

insocal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
I was reading the blog he has as he deconstructs the latest build released. Could it really be true that APPLE would not add COPY & PASTE to 2.0? Or is he saying the feature will be offered as an APP because it would obviously generate a crapload of money?
Anyone out there torn the thing apart enough to know whether this is indeed true? I don't know that I personally would rush out like I was planning to if this feature is not included.
Thanks for any info!
Below is what I copied/pasted (on my MacBook, not my iPhone obviously) from his site.

In the past few days I have been busy disassembling
and analyzing what we could call a "gold" 2.0 firmware.
I say gold because it's expiration date is the
4th of June so all features are there already.
Well 2.0 will not have MMS, not have cut & paste,
no new applications (guess why!). So, aside from exchange
support and appstore what did they change ? I'll tell you: security !
Yes, Apple tightened iPhone security (their security not yours)
a new crypto algo has been introduced
(and promptly defeated as expected).
No more "8900" files but IMG3. Firmware 2.0 will require
a new iTunes version and a new "mobiledevice" framework.
If it were for me I would not even bother to hack this version
but I know many of you are going to upgrade so I will release
a new ziphone version after the official release.
I already patched activation (lockdownd)
and unlock / Fake IMEI (baseband firmware).
To fully test this version I will need a Mac (I don't have one yet)
and thanks to the help of ModMyApple.it forum
I will probably have one soon.

About the 3G iPhone:
The 3G iPhone will share almost the same firmware
of the actual iPhone, so, again, no big news.
I wish the community could react to all this and start
developing on the actual firmware version but I know
that will not happen.
I am getting bored lately but even
if I received a big proposal to acquire ziphone
I will not let you down.
Please stop complaining about your bricked phone
if you used other methods.
And keep donating if you want this project to live.

Take care and have fun!
Zibri

Emulsion

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
I think I'm the only one that doesn't really care about copy paste. I just never really had a moment where I was like "Crap, I can't copy and paste." It would be convent in a few areas, but I always got a round it by remembering what it was I wanted to copy.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I don't think there will be copy&paste, mms, mobile tv or voice activation.

With this new 3G iPhone Apple is focusing on the SDK/Apps Store as well as 3G and maybe GPS, as well as software 2.0 which probably won't add anything major than what is already available. The only other thing I see them adding is video recording and pre-loaded games. Hopefully it does have voice activation, copy&paste etc... but I don't have high hopes for any of it.

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
From all we've read, there's no trace of clipboard and MMS so far. It's pretty unlikely that they'll pop up between now and June X.

It's even less likely that they would be offered as pay upgrades. Even if that were to happen, it certainly wouldn't be done through the App Store.

Apps created using the SDK are independent and sandboxed - they don't get to tweak the system or add functionality to existing apps.

touchyphone

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2008
Copy and paste, and MMS? These things lack, but I think people just like to complain. I am a business man, I am a line-writer in fact, but I dont need cut and paste. I have to turn in scripts for television epidsodes weekly, and constantly text as a result, I never thought i would be difficult to perhaps type something out again and besides email is great for picture messaging...my .02 but I am sure some will disagree...dont hate just an opinion

ipodtouchy333

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2007
US
I will be disappointed if theres no MMS. I mean I know nothing comes close to the iphone, but this is a simple feature a $400-$500 should have. Why can't I take a pic on my new iphone and send it to a friend?

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
On the one hand, I'm staggered Apple has wasted so much time on minor features when essentials like copy & paste, better Bluetooth, MMS and voice dialing are still missing.

All I will say is that I'm not exactly surprised, because if we were getting any proper software updates we'd know by now from the SDK.

Phazer

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
In the past few days I have been busy disassembling
and analyzing what we could call a "gold" 2.0 firmware.
I say gold because it's expiration date is the
4th of June so all features are there already.

What's to stop Apple giving 2.1? The expiry date is 4th June - which kind of implies it's going to get superceded around then?

Cut and paste will come. MMS might not - Apple is raising the bar (like not including Flash). There are better ways to send pictures than a downsized picture as a MMS.

2.0 might well have new applications contrary to your view (though many more will be on the app store, some things like iChat/IM app will most likely be added).

Isn't Zibri guessing that "The 3G iPhone will share almost the same firmware
of the actual iPhone" ?

geekmommy4

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
Texas
I will be disappointed if they don't have cut/paste and MMS. I'm surprised that everyone doesn't run into the cut/paste issue. It's kind of funny...they can actually be interrelated in the following way:

I cannot get my family to stop sending me MMS. They continually send me MMS because they "send them to everyone else" and can't believe that I have an iPhone and it doesn't allow them. So, I receive a text message that tells me to go to viewmymessage.com with 2 cryptic codes that must be entered. OK, the text message allows me to go directly to that website with the cute little arrow to the right of the message. So I go to that website and cannot remember the codes that I'm supposed to enter. So, I try to write them down, but can't tell whether those numbers are zeros or letter O's. So, it takes me about 5 tries to enter the proper code to see the picture that they have sent me. Or, I can call them and tell them to resend it as an email. And they laugh at me...again.

It won't keep me from buying the new phone, but I am a programmer and know that these are features that should be there.

As an aside, I walked my very non-technical sister through cutting and pasting something on her Treo yesterday and she was SOOOO excited! And, I got laughed at again when I told her that my iPhone couldn't do it.

So, I'll just continue to get laughed at and inconvenienced with those issues because I still love my iPhone. :)

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
Although I would LOVE to see copy/paste and MMS, I do feel like Apple is not going to implement them. Or maybe they're just waiting for someone to develop an app for it so they have less work to do?

As optimistic as I am, I'm really feeling like Apple will just have 3G, maybe GPS, and then the App store. I hope I'm wrong though...

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Ugg... No MMS.... I don't care how many times people on here say, have them send it to your email..... MMS is used a lot, I used to use it a lot until I got my iPhone. Now I have that stupid site to go to so I can see what was sent to me. I agree with the post a couple up, it just freaking sucks trying to remember the two codes that come with a text message that you must enter. It just sucks.

xerenthar

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2008
having no mms is honestly pretty PATHETIC.

also, viewmymessage doesn't work in iphone safari and never has.

ridiculous

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
mms is pathetic old technology, expensive and low quality, It must die like optical media. used it once or twice on older phones and dont miss it one bit, free email is cool though.

weeman

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2007
Orange County, CA
mms is pathetic old technology, expensive and low quality, It must die like optical media. used it once or twice on older phones and dont miss it one bit, free email is cool though.

I think apple sees MMS as this way also. Remember how they ditched the floppy and everyone was complaining? Well where's the floppy now? Looks like same scenario here...email on phones is the future.

Mikey B

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
the island
First thing, take anything Zibri says with a grain of salt, he's a liar, a thief, and pretty piss-poor coder. Ziphone is potentially quite dangerous to your iPhone, its a shame that its as popular as it is.

He is right about the betas so far, but that's hardly news. I think we've known that for awhile. A June 4 expiration date isn't indicative of anything yet. Apple has said that 2.0 will be released in late June, still plenty of time for another beta release. If its released sooner, like someone said, there's always 2.1, 2.2, etc. If Apple's rushing to get the new iPhone out ahead of schedule, the upgrade may not have all of the functionality they intended on time.

I am really hoping MMS will come. Archaic it may be, but 99% of the cell phones out there support it and it would be so easy for Apple to give it to us. I really can't figure out why they wouldn't.

There is a work-around for sending pics from the iPhone by SMS. Follow this quick guide (this is probably posted some where already):

For friends whom I know who they have as a service provider, I saved a new email addy with their # and the carrier address. Pretty easy. The only draw back is that you can't receive pics as SMS as well.

Alltel – 10digitnumber@alltel.net
AT&T- 1+10digitnumber@MMS.att.net
Sprint- 10digitnumber@pm.sprint.com
T-Mobile- 1+10digitnumber@tmomail.net
US Cellular- 10digitnumber@mms.uscc.net
Verizon- 10digitnumber@vzwpix.com

I can live without copy and paste, but I could definitely make good use of it.

mortfe

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
Missing features

No MMS - no voice dialing? Sorry guys but getting tired of all the Apple BS. How can you compete with Blackberry? PATHETIC! What the heck is Apple thinking. They have a 'super' computer and then go and screw up the phone. I am not crazy about Blackberry but when the now .touch. comes out I'm back to VZW.

skwoytek

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2005
I don't recall too many times that Apple has beta tested something they haven't already fully announced. In this case, they announced all of the big 2.0 beta features in March. And they've not needed to semi-publicly beta test iPhone firmware before - the current iteration of 2.0 beta is specifically targeted to test application development and enterprise.

I don't see Jobs getting up on stage at WWDC and saying, "By the way here's the new iPhone and it's basically everything we've already publicly announced: 3G, Enterprise, App Store... Enjoy the conference."

I'd suspect, there are some, if not many unreleased features in the soon to be released 2.0 firmware. If not, they'll probably showboat some 2.1 features for an upcoming release.

Either way, the 3G iPhone announcement won't just be a rehash of what we and the press already know. In nine days, we know for sure.

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
this is old.

as in, he wrote that article before a lot of builds were released. like 2 or 3 or even 4?

memesmith

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
I, for one, have never used MMS, on iPhone or any other phone. Maybe its a generation thing, but i'm an email man. That said I and my friends do occasionally use SMS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.