Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
I tried ripping my Cloverfield DVD with the "5.1 English" audio track and there was no surround sound when I played in on ATV. When I tried the "5.1 English Surround Sound" audio track, there was surround sound, but it had audio commentary. I tagged both files using MetaX. When I play the DVD in my Blu-Ray player there is surround sound. Is there any solution to my problem? Thanks.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
I'm not sure I follow you. Usually, 5.1 is listed as Dolby Digital or DTS, and not as "Surround Sound". Usually, SS refers to Dolby Pro Logic. Is your ATV connected to a receiver that decodes Dolby Digital? That is the only way to get 5.1 surround sound out of the ATV.

sWaltuo

macrumors regular
May 25, 2007
If you are using handbrake to encode, just make sure you are using the preset AppleTV settings and it will automatically encode the 5.1

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
You need to update the preset list in Handbrake. Choose the Presets menu in the menu bar and select 'Update Presets'. The 'Apple TV' ripping preset will now rip with true 5.1 audio...

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
If you are using handbrake to encode, just make sure you are using the preset AppleTV settings and it will automatically encode the 5.1

Done. No dice.

You need to update the preset list in Handbrake. Choose the Presets menu in the menu bar and select 'Update Presets'. The 'Apple TV' ripping preset will now rip with true 5.1 audio...

Done. No dice.

I'm not sure I follow you. Usually, 5.1 is listed as Dolby Digital or DTS, and not as "Surround Sound". Usually, SS refers to Dolby Pro Logic. Is your ATV connected to a receiver that decodes Dolby Digital? That is the only way to get 5.1 surround sound out of the ATV.

I don't get what you mean either. I'm gonna call the home theater place and see if they know what's wrong.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
What kind of receiver do you have? Many of them will only play what your TV can play if you also have audio passed from the receiver to the TV. For example, on my Onkyo if I have it set up to pass the audio to the TV I will not get 5.1 because my TV can not play it - so I get no audio. If I turn that option on the receiver off I get 5.1.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
What kind of receiver do you have? Many of them will only play what your TV can play if you also have audio passed from the receiver to the TV. For example, on my Onkyo if I have it set up to pass the audio to the TV I will not get 5.1 because my TV can not play it - so I get no audio. If I turn that option on the receiver off I get 5.1.

I really have no idea. My parents bought the whole system. They probably don't even know what kind of receiver it is.

Heres two pics, I assume the first one has something to do with video and the second has to do with audio.

Attachments

• IMG_0224.JPG
    IMG_0224.JPG
    373.1 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0225.JPG
    IMG_0225.JPG
    312.4 KB · Views: 99

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
I really have no idea. My parents bought the whole system. They probably don't even know what kind of receiver it is.

Okay well try this - using a source were audio does play - turn on your TV and the receiver. Turn the volume down to nothing on your receiver. Now turn the volume up on the TV - do you hear anything?

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Simplest way is to figure out what indicator on your receiver signifies Dolby Digital surround which is usually a red DD light or like on an onkyo will say Dolby D.

Anyway, then with your receiver and everything on reboot your atv. That intro movie that plays at the beginning when it boots is in ac3 5.1 surround (where do you think we got the format for handbrake ;) ) Anyway, if that intro movie lights up your Dolby D surround sound indicator then your HandBrake encoded ATV preset movie will as well. If not, then there is an issue with your system. Note: do not confuse a Dolby Pro Logic or some such indicator with the Dolby 5.1 surround sound indicator.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.