Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matthew S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2008
Hello, I was wondering if someone could help me out. I have had trouble deleting some (a small percent of the total amount of podcasts that i put on there) podcasts from my ipod. In itunes these specific podcasts dont show up in itunes but still show up on the ipod. I don't understand how to delete them if they do not show in itunes. Thats the only way to delete items right?

Can anyone help me out? Did i accidentally hide some items, if thats possible? Im up to about 8-10 podcasts that seem permanently stuck on ipod. Thanks.

xenesthis

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2008
Solution: Create Smart Playlist

I had the same problem with one particular podcast ("TWIP").

It showed up in iTunes in the folder "Podcast" but this folder did not exist on the iPod. Other podcasts show up in the folder "Music" but this one did not.

The solution to this problem is to create a "Smart Playlist":
Choose File > New Smart Playlist.
Set the rule "Genre contains Podcast" (which listed all podcasts, also those that show up in the music folder).
or "Podcast is true" (which listed only the podcast episodes that were missing or hidden before).

The problem occurred with both an iPod Nano and an iPod Classic and could be resolved with a smart playlist.

babetteflix

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2009
not the question

The question is not how to see or hear the podcast (for which the smart playlist would be the answer). The question is how to DELETE the podcast from the iPod. My experience so far has been that the only way to delete an item is from its original folder, e.g. from the music folder or the podcasts folder. I can't delete an item from a playlist folder. So how do we delete a podcast when there is no podcast folder (this is a video iPod not an ITouch)? Thanks

rionysus

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2009
Solution that worked with my Ipod Video

I had the same problem. This is how I fixed it. After creating a Smart Playlist so that I could see the podcasts in Itunes (see steps in previous post by xenesthis), I selected them, used Command+I to access the Options menu and changed the Media Kind from "Podcast" to "Music." Once I did that, the podcasts appeared as music in my ipod library and I was able to delete from there. I hope this helps!

s3a0tt3r

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2011
Solutions almost work, but updates prevent resolution

Guys,

Great help so far. I have iTunes 10.2. It won't let me change the Media Type from Podcast. Also, for the Windows version, you'll need to Get Info (Ctrl-I) then go to the Options Tab. The Media Kind is "greyed" out and I can't click the drop down to select something other than Podcast. If I try to select multiple podcasts, via the method described above, I can change it. However, when I close the dialog and go looking in the Music on my iPod, it is not there. Back to the smart playlist, and the Media Type was not changed.

I hope this helps you help me & the others with this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Grant

hspencer

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2011
Hello, I have the same anoying problem, and I've just find the solution.
First you need to have a soft like Podworks (there must be other that have the same function), in order to locate on the iPod disk, the right location of the files (podcast or music), you want to delete. With Podworks, you just have to select the podcast you want to delete and go on the Information icon (I), it give you the write location, that you should start like this : iPod_Control/Music/...
So you note that or have Podworks open, while you look in a finder window to locate those file on the iPod.

But You'll tell me : on the finder window of the iPod, you don't see the folder iPod_Control.
It's normal, it an invisible folder.
So to make it visible, you have to go to the Terminal (in the folder Application utilities).
When you double click on terminal, you write or copy/paste the following instruction : defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles true
You press enter, and the you have to restart your Finder, for that you go into the apple menu :apple: (left up corner of the screen), and go to the "force to quit" menu.
Then when your desktop is back, if you open your iPod, you'll seen many more folders, their color is fade, but you can open it, and you'll find the location that Podworks have tell you before.
Then you just have to throw to the garbage the files you want, and empty the garbage in order to delete the files completely from your iPod.

It's seems a little long and special, but if you know a little Mac, you'll find it really easy.:cool:
And it works well.:)

Hope you understand (pardon my english, but I'm French...), if not ask explanation, I'll try to detail more.

Bye and take care.

Phil

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.