Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac-convert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Are we there yet?
Hi all,

I am being drawn back into amateur photography. I learned it some back in the film days, when the only thing digital was a light switch - on, off, on, off.

After scouring the board here, dpreview, plus other peoples' reviews and opinions, it came down to this setup I think. It is on sale at the local Costco, or maybe I should say for sale.

It's an unadvertised kit, two lenses, both the EF-S, one an 18-55, the other the 55-200. It comes with a standard 1GB CF card, a nice looking tote bag for everything, and a few other odds and ends. The price is $1,050 US dollars.

Good deal?
Thanks...

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Not a very good deal in my opinion; unless both lenses are the IS (image stabilized) version. Otherwise, you could buy that for much less elsewhere.

mac-convert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Are we there yet?
Not a very good deal in my opinion; unless both lenses are the IS (image stabilized) version. Otherwise, you could buy that for much less elsewhere.

Hi - thanks - yes, both lenses have the image stabilization in them.

It appears to be a kit put together for Costco. One of them minor perks there are 50 free prints. I didn't check to see what size, since that wasn't a deal maker or breaker. They also have the 4GB CF cards, for somewhere around $35, give or take.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
I had bought and returned that kit from costco and also bought and returned the cf card you menshioned. The kit is ok the filter inside the box is crap, the lenses are ok for a starter DSLR. The bag is oversized but other then that it is a good deal. Make sure to open the box and look for the 50 free prints the one I bought and returned had no 50 free prints inside it. I my self took it back since now you can get the Canon 40D for 1129.95 at B&H. So I purchased a 40D and am using that. It is my first DSLR and I find it a much better camera to me.

mac-convert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Are we there yet?
Wow - did you return it because of problems with the camera or lenses, or wasn't it what you expected from a camera kit?

I assume that you returned the card because you didn't need it without the camera.

Thanks for the reply and the heads up.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
I returned it because the bag that it came with had broke and their was better deals on the 40D. I had just bought it was less then 7 days. I returned the CF cards since I got a better deal at best buy Extreme 3 CF cards. The 40D kit is the best deal. The costco deal costs as much as a 40D kit and the 40D kit is a better bargain.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
If you want a good deal on a 40D go to best buy I got a 40D kit, 430EX flash, a Lowepro Rezo 190 AW a 4 year accidental damage warranty , and 2 4 gig Sandisk Extreme 3 cards at a good deal. When you go there tell them you want a package deal and ask them if they can make you a package deal.

mac-convert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Are we there yet?
Best Buy! I am shocked :eek:

I have a good friend who works at the local one. Guess where I will be tomorrow. Now when you say 40D, are you talking the Canon EOS 40D?

bluesmap

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2008
Hi all,

I am being drawn back into amateur photography. I learned it some back in the film days, when the only thing digital was a light switch - on, off, on, off.

After scouring the board here, dpreview, plus other peoples' reviews and opinions, it came down to this setup I think. It is on sale at the local Costco, or maybe I should say for sale.

It's an unadvertised kit, two lenses, both the EF-S, one an 18-55, the other the 55-200. It comes with a standard 1GB CF card, a nice looking tote bag for everything, and a few other odds and ends. The price is $1,050 US dollars.

Good deal?
Thanks...

i registered just to tell you that the deal you are speaking of is awful.
you should not be paying over a grand for a rebel xti.
the two lenses although they might be IS lenses they both suck. i mean they are not the greatest lenses out there at least not warranting you having to spend over a grand to couple it with an xti.

if i were you i would take that money and spend it on a canon 30d. not 40d. there aren't many advantages and features on the 40d that are not on the 30d. you can then spend the extra money on a flash and lenses. if you have to you can get the kit lens, the 18-55II and also pick up a canon 50mm 1.8. the 50mm 1.8 is one of canon's lil hidden gems. very sharp as a tack. you should also seriously consider getting the canon 430ex which is a great flash unit. other flash units include the sigma super dg which is about the same price range as the 430ex and is more powerful.

i dont know your location so i cannot recommend a local store. but the two best stores in the country to order from are:
b&h photo video http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
and
adorama http://www.adorama.com/

both are heaven for photographers. great service, great shipping. you dont buy camera equipment from costco unless you're getting a great deal and that, my friend, is not a great deal.

again:
30d
kit lens
50mm 1.8
430ex flash. hopefully you have enough to get the flash.

take care. good luck. happy shopping.

bluesmap

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2008
Hi - thanks - yes, both lenses have the image stabilization in them.

It appears to be a kit put together for Costco. One of them minor perks there are 50 free prints. I didn't check to see what size, since that wasn't a deal maker or breaker. They also have the 4GB CF cards, for somewhere around $35, give or take.

when you are shopping you should never look at the little perks. they are irrelevant and are meant to confuse you into buying what you might not really want.

you can get a 4GB CF card from compusa for 19.99.
prints are so cheap now forget about the 50 free prints.

again, good luck buddy.

mac-convert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Are we there yet?
bluesmap, thanks for the input. It all makes sense. As for the perks in a package, they don't mean much to me unless they are significant, and these were not. It looks like I have some more shopping and looking to do.

And welcome to macrumors.

operator207

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
i registered just to tell you that the deal you are speaking of is awful.
you should not be paying over a grand for a rebel xti.
the two lenses although they might be IS lenses they both suck. i mean they are not the greatest lenses out there at least not warranting you having to spend over a grand to couple it with an xti.

if i were you i would take that money and spend it on a canon 30d. not 40d. there aren't many advantages and features on the 40d that are not on the 30d. you can then spend the extra money on a flash and lenses. if you have to you can get the kit lens, the 18-55II and also pick up a canon 50mm 1.8. the 50mm 1.8 is one of canon's lil hidden gems. very sharp as a tack. you should also seriously consider getting the canon 430ex which is a great flash unit. other flash units include the sigma super dg which is about the same price range as the 430ex and is more powerful.

i dont know your location so i cannot recommend a local store. but the two best stores in the country to order from are:
b&h photo video http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
and
adorama http://www.adorama.com/

both are heaven for photographers. great service, great shipping. you dont buy camera equipment from costco unless you're getting a great deal and that, my friend, is not a great deal.

again:
30d
kit lens
50mm 1.8
430ex flash. hopefully you have enough to get the flash.

take care. good luck. happy shopping.

I would have to disagree with the above. IF the OP is going to do portraits ONLY, then *maybe* the "nifty fifty" would be a good deal. Since there is no indication as to what the OP wants to shoot, BUT he has indicated 2 lenses he is ok with purchasing, lets stick to those ranges.

The 55-250 IS lens is not that bad for a starter. The 18-55 IS (both I believe are F/3.5-5.6 are not bad for starter lenses. I have the non IS 18-55. I thought I would need something better. I WILL need something better later, but for now, it is enough to learn with.

As for the flash, yes, that is something that needs to be bought IF your doing low light, or want flash fill outside. I use my 55ex all the time. Rarely will I remove it. Unless I am using my 55-250 lens.

Ya, you can go out and buy so many lenses, and spend a fortune. But from the information the OP has given, he seems to like the lens setup this kit has, and has said he is an amateur just getting started again.

Go look at some pics of the 55 - 250 IS lens: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=459569

Go look at some pics of the 18 - 55 IS lens: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=185522

As for the comment:
there aren't many advantages and features on the 40d that are not on the 30d.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos40d/

Not a lot of differences? There are plenty on that page. Though to some they may be nothing, to others they may be everything.

If you have been shooting for years, and you already know exactly what lens works for your situations, maybe this kit is not good for you. If you are starting out, and want to find what you like, and do not want to go piece a kit together, potentially buying some great lenses, that do nothing for you because they are not in the range of what you like to shoot, this kit gives you the ability to find that range, without breaking the bank.

mac-convert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Are we there yet?
Hi all, and thanks again to the people who replied.

I ended up going to a local camera store and chatted with a professional photographer for about an hour, going over what I knew and what I wanted to do. I should have stated up front that I am interested in outdoors - scenery, landscape, cityscape, etc. No portraits, macro, or action shots or anything like that. So based on that I got the Rebel XTi with the 18-55 EFS lens, along with a 4GB card, a UV filter, a nice tote bag, and an inexpensive tripod for starters. The price was good and it got me started in the right direction with some basic equipment, and I supported a local business and can go back there for other needs, assistance and advice!

I got out yesterday late afternoon and rattled off about 150 shots just to see how my choice of composition and framing looked, and how the camera felt and took pics. I spent some time with Aperture last night on a few of them to see how they looked. So far I am pleased and I just need to develop my skills again. It's not all the camera, as we all know.

Thanks and cheers

EDIT: Again - amateur photography, not a professional

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

Take a good look at the brand and model of all the add-on stuff. Many times when they put these kits together they bundle up generic brand "junk". If you can't see exactly what's in the kit then for price comparison assume it's junk. The price seems high for an entry level SLR with two entry level lenses but them I'm more familiar with Nikon pricing. For $1000 I'd rather have a Nikon D80.

bluesmap

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2008
I would have to disagree with the above. IF the OP is going to do portraits ONLY, then *maybe* the "nifty fifty" would be a good deal. Since there is no indication as to what the OP wants to shoot, BUT he has indicated 2 lenses he is ok with purchasing, lets stick to those ranges.

The 55-250 IS lens is not that bad for a starter. The 18-55 IS (both I believe are F/3.5-5.6 are not bad for starter lenses. I have the non IS 18-55. I thought I would need something better. I WILL need something better later, but for now, it is enough to learn with.

As for the flash, yes, that is something that needs to be bought IF your doing low light, or want flash fill outside. I use my 55ex all the time. Rarely will I remove it. Unless I am using my 55-250 lens.

Ya, you can go out and buy so many lenses, and spend a fortune. But from the information the OP has given, he seems to like the lens setup this kit has, and has said he is an amateur just getting started again.

Go look at some pics of the 55 - 250 IS lens: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=459569

Go look at some pics of the 18 - 55 IS lens: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=185522

As for the comment:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos40d/

Not a lot of differences? There are plenty on that page. Though to some they may be nothing, to others they may be everything.

If you have been shooting for years, and you already know exactly what lens works for your situations, maybe this kit is not good for you. If you are starting out, and want to find what you like, and do not want to go piece a kit together, potentially buying some great lenses, that do nothing for you because they are not in the range of what you like to shoot, this kit gives you the ability to find that range, without breaking the bank.

you know you cant have it both ways. if he's an amatuer why not get the 30d instaed of the 40 so we dont "break the bank" as you stated. like you said, he's starting out why recommend a camera that can easily be replaced over time. cameras get replaced they become obsolete (digital) lenses you keep and reuse over different cameras. that's why im stressing more on the lenses and not the camera. at the end of the day the IQ will be the same why not save the cash and spend it more on lenses or accesories? we're not comparing a 30d to a 5d. we're comparing it to a 40d and the 30 performs just as well especially for someone in the OP's position. (beginner)

the 50 is not just for portraits. for $80 bucks its the best bang for the buck in canon's line of lenses. as fast as it is the sky is the limit on what you can do with that lens. who said it was only for portraits?

the purpose...well...my purpose of replying is not to tell the OP what to do but rather to give some ideas, insight, advice

disdat

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2005
New England USA
the 50 is not just for portraits. for $80 bucks its the best bang for the buck in canon's line of lenses. as fast as it is the sky is the limit on what you can do with that lens. who said it was only for portraits?

I agree 100%. The nifty is what taught me a lot about what photography was all about. I love that lens, even though it isn't on my camera as often as before....It is the one lens that is recommended for all new dSLR users

johnsy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
so it is $400 for camera and 580 for lenses and the rest for junk? I mean what do you expect - good camera bag? or brand name memory card?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.