Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fabiano

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Palmas, Brazil
Hello guys, first I want to say that I just bought my first Mac, a Penryn Macbook Pro 2.4. I never used Leopard before so Im a complete noob in that...
Im reading some tutorials on the Apple site to learn about it, but one thing that I still not figured out is about the function keys on Macbook (f1 - f12). As I can see, they are by default assigned to work with the icons on them, for exemple, f2 changes screen brightness when I press it. For me its quite strange, since I came from a Toshiba with Vista, where I press the Fn key + F7 to get the same effect. So, In some applications, like terminal, when i need to use a function key I dont know how to use... for exemple, I connect via ssh in a remote Suse Linux terminal, an open mcedit. in mcedit, f10 closes the application, but i cant do that, when i press f10 it mutes my sound... So how can I use this, Im very confused! please Help me...

Skeletal-dæmon

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2008
See the little key on the bottom left of the keyboard labeled "Fn"?

Hold it down. Your Function keys will work.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
you can do as the above poster suggested and fress "fn" with the function key. or if you want to invert this (where pressing "fn" + f10 mutes the sound), you can change it in the keyboard system preferences. you need to check the box that enables standard function key use.

Attachments

• Keyboard & Mouse.jpg
    Keyboard & Mouse.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 573

Fabiano

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Palmas, Brazil
See the little key on the bottom left of the keyboard labeled "Fn"?

Hold it down. Your Function keys will work.

yes, i tried it out and no success. Instead it makes the current windows glows or someting like that...

edited: just figured out... its was expose settings, I just disabled f10 function on expose preferences. Sorry about my noob questions.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
yes, I've used the search, but it returned so many results and I couldnt find a relevant topic about my question. again, sorry about my noob questions, Its just my second day with Leopard.

Don't worry; I just wanted to point out that sometimes when you search use terms that may sound close; I apologize if I sounded a little harsh. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.