Time Capsule will not connect or mount drive - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Jun 1, 2008, 10:59 AM   #1
nPolar
macrumors newbie

Time Capsule will not connect or mount drive

Thought i'd start a new thread to address this issue that appeared in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaelaustin View Post
Now the problem with time capsule is that it just stopped connecting to the HD (though i still can access the internet via the built in airport), this was actually the original problem i rang apple about. i can't even connect to the HD with a ethernet cable. i've looked around the net and there doesn't seem to be any info around about this problem so am i the only one?

does anyone have any solutions as i got nothing from apple and am really frustrated, just converted over to apple when i bought this computer about a month ago and so far i'm not impressed with both the equipment or the service i got when i called apple.
THE GOOD NEWS: I had your EXACT problem with the TC. THE BAD NEWS: The only solution was to replace it. Boooooo.

I too am new to mac (well, new since my last 1993 Powerbook 540c back in 1994...which I still have by the way) and I converted back bigtime with a MBP, ACD, TC, Bluetooth MightyMouse and Keyboard. I have had problems with EVERYTHING and spent lots of time on the phone with Apple so i'm not impressed with the supposed "stable" system Apple boasts about, but I have found their support to be better than Dell... not saying much.

My TC stopped connecting and mounting the drive but airport remained functional. Apple first said that the backup sparsebundle may have been corrupted, but even after erasing it, reformatting the TC and starting over, it still wouldn't connect. The only option was to replace the TC, which they sent it overnight and while I wasn't happy, it wasn't the end of the world.

I don't know if your system is still functional even with the error message, but if so. Have Apple replace your TC, then obtain a backup, and then reformat the drive as they have suggested.

I know its not the solution you wanted, but my TC has worked stellar ever since. Good Luck.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 09:57 AM   #2
nPolar
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaelaustin View Post
how did you go about retrieving the data off the HD ... i am going to call apple back tonight and ask to speak to a tier 2 tech support as i was really unhappy with the solutions presented to me from the tier 1 tech support.
I did not have any data that I needed to get from the drive, all was still on my computer so did not go down that road. Oddly, my PC which was also connected to the drive was still able to transfer data back and forth, so you can try that if you have one or take it to a friends house and try.

If that doesnt work, your best bet may be to take the drive to an Apple store, and tell them you need your data.

Teir 2 support is a good idea, this is complex enough to get bumped up, or just ask for a supervisor and tell them that your very frustrated and this data is very important and you need it recovered.

Last edited by nPolar; Jun 2, 2008 at 09:58 AM. Reason: correcting typos
nPolar is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals