Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jun 1, 2008, 05:13 PM   #1
sv2
macrumors newbie

Adjust Bass Level?

Hello

How do i adjust the level of bass on my headphones? I am wondering because when I hook them into a pc with XP, I can do it from the volume control menu. However in Mac OS X there appears to be no option in the sound options (system preferences > hardware > sound)

Please don't tell me it's up to each individual program, or that the headphones need a bass volume wheel.

Thanks

anyone?

Last edited by Mitthrawnuruodo; May 19, 2009 at 01:24 PM. Reason: No bumping!
sv2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2008, 01:10 PM   #2
G-Com
macrumors regular

iTunes has an equalizer. Otherwise I don't know. Let me check something. Back in a bit.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 01:14 PM   #3
Killyp
macrumors 68040

It can't be done with OS X's own sound system - for good reason.

You could always try an external headphone amp which may have bass/treble controls?
Killyp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2008, 01:17 PM   #4
G-Com
macrumors regular

Quicktime Pro offers an equalizer as well.

As far as a global EQ, I don't know of any such program. I went to VersionTracker and they had nothing.

What exactly are you needing the extra bass for?
Old Jun 2, 2008, 03:50 PM   #5
siorai
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killyp View Post
Out of curiosity, why do you think it's "for good reason?" Say you happen to have a sub in your setup, you live in an apartment, but even at the minimal setting, the sub annoys the neighbors. Should you just suck it up and say, "Boy. I sure with I was an Apple fanboy and believed that everything Apple did was for the best. At least then I'd feel alright with throwing away this perfectly good sub because I can't adjust the bass levels."
siorai is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 01:23 PM   #6
avanrotciv
macrumors newbie

I missing this function too, has anyone found some kind of global equalizer for OS X?

I have no way to equalize sound when listening to music from an applications that's not iTunes, internet radio for example.
avanrotciv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 04:28 PM   #7
John585
macrumors member

This works good for me.
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/34207
John585 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 04:39 PM   #8
avanrotciv
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John585 View Post
50 Bucks? I'll keep looking, this probably has tons of functions I really don't need.
Old May 20, 2009, 03:13 AM   #9
Matek
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
What is that reason and how come Windows and Linux developers haven't heard about it yet?
Matek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 10:08 AM   #10
avanrotciv
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matek View Post
What is that reason and how come Windows and Linux developers haven't heard about it yet?
To me this functionality is something I would naturally look on any platform. I agree with Matek
Old Jul 19, 2011, 05:13 AM   #11
apple helper
macrumors newbie

its easy

i know how just ask and il tell
apple helper is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2011, 05:17 AM   #12
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple helper View Post
i know how just ask and il tell
Another first-time poster resurrecting a 2 year old thread to add nothing of value.

One of the methods is to use Boom.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:27 PM   #13
jonahhh
macrumors newbie

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/audiohijackpro/
It can sometimes introduce latency so it might not be ideal for video.

The demo limitations are lax enough that depending on what you want to do you may be able to use it forever.

(but ya should buy it)
jonahhh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 04:32 PM   #14
bobsbarricades
macrumors regular

I too would like to know a solution. I want to cut some of the bass that comes out of ALL of OS X.

The reason - since so many OS X users are so judgmental - is because I have a sound system that REEKS of too much bass. I DO have speaker control of it and even then it's WAY too overpowering and colors what I hear. I've gotten used to it, but I don't want to get used to it - I need to make better mixes here and this isn't helping when I go to compare it to popular tracks in a genre.

So I'm wondering the same thing. How can I cut the bass BEYOND what my hardware allows for ALL applications (spotify, DVD player, etc...)

thanks!
bobsbarricades is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:52 PM   #15
bobsbarricades
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Another first-time poster resurrecting a 2 year old thread to add nothing of value.

One of the methods is to use Boom.
don't know how I missed this the first time. trying it out now.
bobsbarricades is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:25 AM   #16
SABOND21

Send a message via Skype™ to SABOND21
*** Boom - may be not bad App, but their EQ is not (in my opinion good)

*** Hear (by JoeSoft) - may be better than Boom since it has mush more option some of which doesn't work properly (such as EQ, when its resolution is set to more than 32 octaves it start to distort sound)

*** Apples AU lab - I think is the best option. Install Soundflower than download AU Lab, unzip, open DMG and copy to Applications "AU Lab", than open "Correction.trak" by it. You may need Xcode to download (but I am not sure). One good thing about AU Lab is that you can use not just 1 EQ, but also compressors and others VST plugins and audio units.
SABOND21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 02:25 AM   #17
Artsy2
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABOND21 View Post

*** Apples AU lab - I think is the best option. Install Soundflower than download AU Lab, unzip, open DMG and copy to Applications "AU Lab", than open "Correction.trak" by it. You may need Xcode to download (but I am not sure). One good thing about AU Lab is that you can use not just 1 EQ, but also compressors and others VST plugins and audio units.
I followed these steps and it worked so thank you SABOND21. Can you tell me if there are some presets such as low or medium bass? <I don't feel like setting the equalizer frequencies myself in a real hazardous way>

Last edited by Artsy2; Mar 6, 2012 at 03:08 AM.
Artsy2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:09 PM   #18
nmckaskle
macrumors newbie

I have the same exact problem. I need to lower my bass so my neighbor stops complaining despite reasonable volume levels. I think it is ridiculous that Apple has not added this ability over the past several OS version upgrades.

Last edited by nmckaskle; Mar 29, 2012 at 07:10 PM. Reason: bahg
nmckaskle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:10 PM   #19
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmckaskle View Post
I have the same exact problem. I need to lower my bass so my neighbor stops complaining despite reasonable volume levels.
Did you check out Boom, as recommended earlier?
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:17 AM   #20
nmckaskle
macrumors newbie

I read their website but I didn't see anything about adjusting bass up and down, just boosting it, I'll check again in the app store.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:50 PM   #21
lusk
macrumors newbie

adjusting sound on itunes through equalizer

hi guys,

i was having the same problem with my (recently-owned!) mac, cause of my speakers/subwoofer + living in an apartment.

i know this is kind of an old thread, but i believe you can actually change the bass levels through the equalizer in itunes (itunes > window > equalizer). there, you'll find different settings, as well as one labelled 'bass reducer'. or you can manually adjust the levels and bring them down a notch.

hope this helps.
lusk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:01 AM   #22
nmckaskle
macrumors newbie

This is about the bass outside of iTunes, that would have no effect.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:02 AM   #23
SABOND21

Send a message via Skype™ to SABOND21
Correction about Soundflower use

The new version of soundflower is available - search the google. The second thing: before creating new project in AU Lab select as audio output source Soundflower in your system settings and only than create project in AU Lab (New->Audio Input Device: Soundflower->Audio Output Device: Your Output Device). I recommend to use as correction tool for speakers FabFilter Pro-Q Equalizer.
SABOND21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help