Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 27, 2003, 09:01 PM   #1
awulf
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to awulf Send a message via AIM to awulf Send a message via Yahoo to awulf Send a message via Skype™ to awulf
How to change Domain in OS X?

At school the windows machines are on the domain "student.local" e.g. the server is "mbhs.student.local". Currently the macs recieve their IP address from that server, but the domain that the macs recieve is "local" e.g. "iMac02.local" but the macs needs to be on the same domain name as the windows machines, so it should be "iMac02.student.local".

Does anyone know how to do this?
Thanks
awulf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2003, 09:26 PM   #2
Sunrunner
macrumors 6502a

You should be able to change the ethernet connection settings in the network preference pane from DHCP, (where I assume your settings are currently set) to manual. You should then be able to change the domain to whatever you would like, (assuming you have admin privleges).
Sunrunner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2003, 12:28 AM   #3
awulf
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to awulf Send a message via AIM to awulf Send a message via Yahoo to awulf Send a message via Skype™ to awulf
"Configure IPv4" is set to "Using DHCP" and under "Search Domains" it is set to "student.local" but it isn't working as it schould.
Old Nov 28, 2003, 12:36 AM   #4
MoparShaha
macrumors 68000

Go to Applications>Utilities>Directory Access. Then click on "Active Directory". From here you should be able to change your domain settings and make your mac talk with the Active Directory system Windows Server uses.
MoparShaha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2003, 12:53 AM   #5
awulf
macrumors 6502

It comes up with the error below in the screen shot, that's why I'm trying to figure out how to make the domain name of the iMac, imac02.student.local since it has problems talking to the server over the network since it is imac02.local, I even tried ADmitMac but that comes up with the same error.

I can not ping the server via "mbhs.student.local" but only via IP, I tried adding the server in the in "/etc/hosts", where I was then able to ping "mbhs.student.local" but still couldn't bind to the Active Directory.

Using the "ADmitMac Network Browser", it found the Active Directory server, but under the ADmitMac plug-in, it couldn't bind.

So all of this is a bit weird, and some how is linked to the domain names.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	9963  

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store