Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Packersfan27

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2008
Hi, I have an 8 gb iPod Touch. At random times while on safari, my iPod touch will go black and then return to the homescreen. It only happens for safari. I have not jailbreaked my iPod, I do have some web apps though.

Can someone help me?

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
It's most likely some code on the websites you're looking at thats annoying Safari - a clever java script or something it can't load properly.

Try emptying the cache etc.

Mine sometimes does it too, especially if i have a few separate windows running.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
Happens to us all....I'm hoping that the next firmware will address the issue. It crashes on me when browsing the most simplest of sites...no idea why it does. But it's not too often.

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
This occurs when mobile Safari either encounters bad javascript, or code, as mentioned above, but mostly this behavior happens because you are surfing sites which depend too much on RAM. Remember, this iPod now runs a full operating system architecture under it's hood. The memory simple runs out, and the iPod OS is told to terminate the process in order to restore that lost RAM.

You may see this behavior, for example, when listening to music while trying to surf the internet within mobile Safari. The memory is used up, and the OS has to terminate one process to keep enough memory to run the other.

This issue isn't really present anymore (at 1.1.4) for me.

As posted above, lets hope for the fee Apple are thinking of attaching to firmware 2.0, that it fully addresses this issue and many others!

Hope this explains.

R-Fly

patp

Apr 10, 2008
me too. Safari has recently started to crash for no apparent reason. I have thelatest up to date software and all the latest apps ( no jailbroken)

Does a restore seem to help or is it just a bug we all have to live with
?

Ninamicha

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2013
Safari bug

Hello,
I have an iPod touch 5g and every time i tap on the safari app to do a research, it sends me to the App Store. I then tried to quit safari and the App Store and trying my research again on safari but after 5 minutes it still sent me to the App Store... Even after turning my ipod off it still does the same thing ! Can anyone help me ?

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Hello,
I have an iPod touch 5g and every time i tap on the safari app to do a research, it sends me to the App Store. I then tried to quit safari and the App Store and trying my research again on safari but after 5 minutes it still sent me to the App Store... Even after turning my ipod off it still does the same thing ! Can anyone help me ?

Which iOS version?

Try a hard reset. That's holding down the on/off button AND the home button at the same time till the screen goes black and the Apple logo appears.

P.S. This is a five-year old thread. You might get more notice by starting a new thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.