Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is expected to launch its Back to School promotion tomorrow, and on the eve of its launch, we've learned that Apple is indeed going to be making it their biggest ever.

According to our sources, Apple will be offering a free 8GB iPod Touch ($299) to college students who buy a qualifying Mac (MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac, Mac Pro). Alternatively, students may choose to get an 8GB iPod Nano ($199). The promotion will run from June 3 to September 15th, 2008.

With this aggressive promotion as well as the rumored 3G-capable iPhone launch, Apple is rapidly expanding their Touch OS X platform over the next few months, giving developers a large audience for their iTunes Store apps and games.

There remains one uncertainty, however. When Apple releases the 2.0 firmware for the iPhone and iPod Touch, iPod Touch owners will be required to pay a small fee for the upgrade. Customers who purchase an iPod Touch now may be required to pay this fee when the upgrade arrives in late June. More details may be available tomorrow or at WWDC next week. More details of the Back to School promotion, including eligibility should be officially announced tomorrow.

Article Link

Applepi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Good to know as I will be purchasing a new Macbook Pro in the next few months.

ert3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 8gb: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

maybe this means a price drop is combing soon as well?

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
Wow. Does this mean updates are imminent? Don't they do this when they want to clear stock? They did it with the minis and nanos.

DOUGHNUT

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
if this is in fact true, i wonder if you'll be able to use the $299 to subsidize a 3G iPhone purchase. That would be a super deal (and makes sense since college kids want the coolest thing on the market)

Petey07

macrumors regular
May 30, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
Wow, i hope this is true because it sound really good!!! 8gb touch is good!!
We just have to wait and see tomorrow, I am going to get the MBP tomorrow since I need it for work :)

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
Or, I wonder if you can use $299 toward an iPod Classic. [I already have an iPhone.] :cool:

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Am I Missing Something?? Why isn't the MBA included in this. I'm a student and am buying one next week.

Don't assume that it doesn't count. This article likely just overlooked the MBA. I can't imagine they wouldn't include it, the MBA and iPod touch are almost a perfect pair.

jW

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

This is a really good deal. Makes it a good time to buy a new computer but I do, as other here, wonder why the MacBook Air isn't mentioned.

skilgus20

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2008
Tomorrow

Seeing that I intended to buy a new Macbook and 8GB iPod Touch tomorrow, you could say that I'm a bit happy.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

This is a really good deal. Makes it a good time to buy a new computer but I do, as other here, wonder why the MacBook Air isn't mentioned.

an oversight on my part. my understanding is everything except the mac mini.

arn

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
That is a great deal, they have to be trying to clear stock on the ipod touches.

Now begins my rant. Why am I not considered a student to apple? I am going into the 10th grade, I am a considered a student by everyone, but not to apple. I have a valid student ID, but still I am not considered a student, because I don't attend college, yet. Apple really needs to apply their student discount to high school students!!!:mad: End Rant.

But really that is an amazing deal!

Don

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.