Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zalle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Hi, hello everyone, my name is zalle and I'm new here.

I have a 12" 1.33, 512am, 60gb G4 powerbook.

I lost the password (the only user's password), and I can't do anything about it.

I have 10.4 installed.

I have 10.3 in disks, so I thought I could just put the CD in, press C and start all over again... NO!

I ran into this problem: The cd starts, the grey apple appears in the white background, and then it moves slightly to the right and everything stops... Nothing happens.

If I start the system and put the CD, I can start it from there, but then it asks me for the admin's password...

What can I do? How about I just format everything? (If I only knew how...)

Help please.

Thanks

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
I was replying to this a while ago and just before I posted it, my ISP went down.

Anyway you need to answer a few questions first...

1. How did you install 10.4? Do you have the DVD for it?
2. What OS was originally installed on the computer?
3. Do you have the original CDs that came with the computer?

Answer these questions and we'll go from there. Just want to make sure this is not a stolen computer.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
He has original Disks. Judging from his post, he is not the actual owner.

If you bought it from someone, you need to get them to give you the real password. If the seller does not have the password, then it's stolen merchandise, demand a refund.

zalle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Stolen computer

Ok, I understand your concern, fair enough.

This laptop was bought by my cousin on Ebay, a friend of his put the 10.4 OS in it. After a while, my cousin found out that OSX was not for him, bought a Toshiba and left the Powerbook aside.

I bought it from him, since I like it, but he had it stored for a long time and can't remember the password. It has his name as the user. I tried his 3 or 4 usual passwords and they will not work.

I have a 10.3 OSX because my wife has an Ibook. I was trying those disks.

If there's anyway I can prove the laptop is not stolen, please tell me, I'll do it. I can put the serial number here, screenshots, or something...

Please advise.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
If you do a Google search, you will find a routine where you boot the machine into Terminal and issue some commands which resets the system to run the Initial Setup Process again. It wipes all of the existing user account information, but you can create a new account to log in.

I used it on a PowerMac G4 MDD with 10.2 that belonged to our company but the person who used it had left so we had no way to recover the password.

zalle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Nope...

Can't do it... Even tried reseting password using single user, rebooting with another OS within the system... The pass is always there... Help...:confused:

obrien234

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2005
Brighton, MI
I don't know if this will work, but it's worth a shot. Since you say your wife has a Mac try using her computer to clean out your computer. Here's how:

1) Start your computer in target disk mode by holding "T" down while it starts. You should get a firewire sign to just be floating around the screen.

2) Attach your computer via firewire to your wifes.

3) Open Disk Utility and you should see your Mac as an external drive on her computer.

4) Reformat the drive using Disk Utility (just google how to do this, It's a lot easier than me trying to explain how to do it from my work PC).

5) Restart up your mac with the install DVD's and it should just let you do a clean install.

NOTE: Everything on the computer will be gone including 10.4 and all of your cousins data.

The only trouble I could see you having is your mac asking for an administrative password when you try to reformat, but I can't remember if it will.

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
Here is how to reset the password in in Single User Mode:

1. Boot into single user mode (press Command-S at power on)
2. Type fsck -fy
3. Type mount -uw /
4. Type launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist
5. Type dscl . -passwd /Users/username password
(replacing username with the targeted user and password with the desired password)
6. Reboot

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
Here is how to reset the password in in Single User Mode:

2. Type fsck -fy
3. Type mount -uw /
4. Type launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist
(replacing username with the targeted user and password with the desired password)
6. Reboot

Correction - commands you type are in bold:

2. Type fsck -fy
3. Type mount -uw /
6. Type reboot

zalle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Thanks for your help but...

I just installed Ubuntu. I'll see later if I can dd OSX and just dual boot.

Thanks for your help guys ;)

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
ditto. Surprised no one mentioned the easiest way to do it.

no need for silly terminal commands.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
It's the OP's fault for not obtaining a copy of Tiger... Just borrow it again from the friend..better yet why not make a copy of it, he already violated the license.

Boot into target boot mode, wipe the drive, start over.

Did the computer not come with discs? Find a friend with a retail copy of Tiger or Leopard. You cannot use another computer's restore discs on your own. They are machine specific. If you can find a disc from the exact same computer, i.e. power book of the same generation, then that will work also.

zalle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Original disks

:confused:

I didn't know the disks were machine specific.

I believe no disks came with the laptop.

I tried the procedure stated here, but it would still ask me for the password... That I found weird...

Will I be able to install the 10.3 disks? I've now formated the disk, it's in EXT3 format and I'm running Ubuntu. But I'd like to have a double boot. A Mac should have a Mac OS, shouldn't it? :rolleyes:

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
He has original Disks. Judging from his post, he is not the actual owner.

If you bought it from someone, you need to get them to give you the real password. If the seller does not have the password, then it's stolen merchandise, demand a refund.

This whole story sounds fishy. This is a stolen laptop!

zalle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
This whole story sounds fishy. This is a stolen laptop!

Dammit!!!! IT'S NOT STOLEN!

Even though I don't need this (as my problem is solved), I don't mind showing whatever proof you need.

I don't know anyone here but it bothers me to be accused like this. I'm sorry if I don't fit your perfect Mac user, but I don't steal laptops.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
If the computer was made after the release of 10.4, i.e. the latest generation power book, then 10.3 will not work or will work but have some problems with functionality that was incorporated only after 10.4 (same for people going from 10.5 to 10.4..multi-touch etc, as that feature was not present on computers during 10.4)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Dammit!!!! IT'S NOT STOLEN!

Even though I don't need this (as my problem is solved), I don't mind showing whatever proof you need.

I don't know anyone here but it bothers me to be accused like this. I'm sorry if I don't fit your perfect Mac user, but I don't steal laptops.

Some people here are insensitive; do not mind them.

It is possible the computer is EFI locked? If it is, you will have to take it to Apple and prove your ownership and they will unlock it.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
If the computer was made after the release of 10.4, i.e. the latest generation power book, then 10.3 will not work or will work but have some problems with functionality that was incorporated only after 10.4 (same for people going from 10.5 to 10.4..multi-touch etc, as that feature was not present on computers during 10.4)

Bingo. I believe that model shipped with a minimum of 10.4.2 on it, so the machine won't let you install anything earlier on it.

Apple should be willing to provide you with Tiger restore discs for that machine for a nominal fee.

zalle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Tigerrrr

Bingo. I believe that model shipped with a minimum of 10.4.2 on it, so the machine won't let you install anything earlier on it.

Apple should be willing to provide you with Tiger restore discs for that machine for a nominal fee.

Yep, that was it. I got Tiger and it now runs smoothly. I'm starting to love it. Almost losing my interest in installing ubuntu on this machine... BUT, I love the free everything of ubuntu... dammm:mad:

Thanks guys for all your help, and, by the way, once again, this is NOT a stolen laptop ;)

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Yep, that was it. I got Tiger and it now runs smoothly. I'm starting to love it. Almost losing my interest in installing ubuntu on this machine... BUT, I love the free everything of ubuntu... dammm:mad:

Thanks guys for all your help, and, by the way, once again, this is NOT a stolen laptop ;)

Ubutnu sucks on powerpc macks... stick to tiger. The PPC linux ports were proof of concept mostly and very poorly done.

wakethemoon

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2008
Denver
password reset not working!

I have a dual 2.0 G5. I have two internal drives and a host of raid arrays connected via firewire ports external. I change my login password and then, of course, forgot it. I'm running 10.4.1 Tiger, by the way. I put the Tiger disc in, hold down the C key, lets it boot to start an install, go to Utilities, select "Reset Password", I see my internal drive that I have my O/S on BUT the drop down "Select a user of this volume to reset their password" is grayed out, can select my user name, nor can I put a new password in in the "Enter a new password". I've reset my PRAM, my SMU, everything, but I can't get the password reset to see my administrators user name. I am the ONLY user on the computer. Does anyone know why my password reset won't work?

Poutama

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2011
Correction - commands you type are in bold:

2. Type fsck -fy
3. Type mount -uw /
6. Type reboot

I did this worked a treat

1. Reboot
2. Hold apple key + s key down after you hear the chime. (command + s on newer Macs)
3. When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

4. After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one and your good to go again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.