Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wolfsbane813

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
My macbook recognizes that the network for my apartment is there and it brings up the login screen since it is p-word protected (WPA security) network (its from a linksys wireless router). i'm typing the password correctly but its saying its invalid... i have no idea how to go about fixing this! My brothers Vista desktop and XP laptop are able to connect fine. The network and my laptop both recognize each others existence, but i can't get in... any tips or ideas? :apple:

EDIT

oh... and i was online and all fine and dandy last night, and all of a sudden, i was disconnected... so i know it works.

Primusz

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2008
I have exactly the same problem, tried the $, didn't help. I called apple care and we tried several things and now they asked me to go to an Apple service point which I will do tomorrow.

This is really annoying. First negative thing I found on my MBP

mmoosa

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
London, UK
I have exactly the same problem, tried the $, didn't help. I called apple care and we tried several things and now they asked me to go to an Apple service point which I will do tomorrow.

This is really annoying. First negative thing I found on my MBP

did you manage to get it sorted?

i had the same problem, what i did was go into the network preferences and delete the networks in the list, add your network entering the exact name, then go to security tab and enter the key/password. and then try connecting again, it should work...hope this makes sense, if it doesnt pm me and i'l send you a few pics to help.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
what is airport and do i need to have it on?

when i click the icon it shows all sorts of different "networks" one of them has my neighbors last name on it. are they using a wireless connection and getting online via my connection?
does it effect my connection?

should i turn it, airport, off?

and sorry if this belongs somewhere else. i did a search and found an "airport" topic and posted in here thinking it better to do that than start a new post and get shouted down... :(

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
thought so.

do i need it on?

i have a phone dsl.

i am assuming that other folks are using my connection to get online. does this slow down my machine?

katschul83

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2008
Hi, it seems like i'm having the same problem. I moved in a new flat where they have a w-lan router from dynalink (asdl2). My macbook recognises the network but isn't able to login. There is a wpa password required. Does anybody knows, what the problem might be?

rhitc001

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2008
Try putting a $ infront of the password, no spaces.

Thanks. I have a pc and a macbook pro laptop. I got the internet working over the router and a Wii game system connected wirelessly. The macbook would see the network through airport but would not accept the password. I put the $ in front of the password (the hex version of the password) and it worked! Thanks, this was driving me nuts.

Macsterwoman

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
$ in front of WEP password works!

Thanks. I have a pc and a macbook pro laptop. I got the internet working over the router and a Wii game system connected wirelessly. The macbook would see the network through airport but would not accept the password. I put the $ in front of the password (the hex version of the password) and it worked! Thanks, this was driving me nuts.

Just wanted to say thanks to the person who posted to put a "$" in front of the WEP password! Thanks so much, it fixed my network issue! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.