Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jun 3, 2008, 11:58 AM   #1
Himlander
macrumors newbie

Editing contacts

Hi,
I have nearly a 100 phone contacts in my iphone.
yesterday for the first time I have sync. the phone with my imac. the itunes have asked few questions and by saying "Yes" all my mail contacts have been copied to the iphone.
Now the mail contacts and the phone contacts are in the same list and all mixed up (689 in all).
It has become hard to find the phone contacts.It takes ages.
I would like to get rid of the all mailing contacts from iphone and just keep the phone contacts.
Is there a way to copy all the contats to the imac , edit and send back to the iphone?
Please advise.
Thanks
Himlander is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 12:08 PM   #2
r6girl
Administrator/Editor

Send a message via AIM to r6girl
when you say "mail contacts", do you mean contacts you created from email addresses you received on your mac and then saved to the Address Book application on your mac?

if all of your contacts are in Address Book on your mac, all you need to do is to create groups to separate them (see this apple forum discussion topic for instructions on how to create groups in Address Book). then, in itunes you can select which groups should sync to your iphone. as an example, i have multiple groups in the Address Book on my mac (Businesses, Friends, Family, etc.), including one named "iPhone" that i use to keep the numbers i use most often - this is the only group i make sure to sync to my iphone and the others are optional...
Old Jun 3, 2008, 12:12 PM   #3
tobefirst
macrumors 68040

As an aside, the iPhone is the first phone I've had where I don't mind having any and every contact on the phone. I have contacts who only have a birthday listed, but no other information. The way you can quickly move to a certain letter or flick through makes it a breeze to find someone in my iPhone.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 02:49 PM   #4
Himlander
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6girl View Post
when you say "mail contacts", do you mean contacts you created from email addresses you received on your mac and then saved to the Address Book application on your mac?

if all of your contacts are in Address Book on your mac, all you need to do is to create groups to separate them (see this apple forum discussion topic for instructions on how to create groups in Address Book). then, in itunes you can select which groups should sync to your iphone. as an example, i have multiple groups in the Address Book on my mac (Businesses, Friends, Family, etc.), including one named "iPhone" that i use to keep the numbers i use most often - this is the only group i make sure to sync to my iphone and the others are optional...
Thanks for a prompt rply. to answer "Yes" the email addresses are on mac and saved as to address book.I want to do as you did. Business,Students, Family etc.
Thanks for the url.
Himlander is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting