Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markmm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
I currently have 2GB of RAM (1GB in each slot) on the laptop and was looking to upgrade. Unfortunately, my version of the MBP maxes out at 3GB of RAM.

Does anyone know if it is better to put 2GB in one slot and 1GB in the other vs. 2GB in each slot. Will the laptop benefit from having matched pairs even though it only can recognize the 3GB. I have talked to multiple people at Apple Care and get different answers. With RAM so cheap, i want the best performance and am willing to spend the extra $50.

Thanks!

efcjoe

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2007
I'd just max it out at 3gb. Going for 2gb in both slots could stop one slot from working so effectively you'd only have 2gb. I don't think the increased speed you get when installing pairs is better than just going for more RAM anyway...

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
Going from 2>3 GB doesnt give a substantial improvement in performance, and can actually hamper it due to the loss of dual-channel. 3GB just gives you a bit more headroom for memory intensive apps like VMware, etc.

*used to own a 2.33 GHz MBP upgraded to 3 GB Transcend RAM*

Animalk

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
Montreal Canada
I would recommend you go for two identical sticks of 2GB. The loss of DDR functionality is a big performance loss in my opinion no matter what you do with your laptop.

marine610610

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2007
I would recommend you go for two identical sticks of 2GB. The loss of DDR functionality is a big performance loss in my opinion no matter what you do with your laptop.

I think you lose DDR if you do this. His MBP won't recognize the full 4GB's, this will give him an uneven pair.

Someone correct me if im wrong...

markmm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
I think you lose DDR if you do this. His MBP won't recognize the full 4GB's, this will give him an uneven pair.

Someone correct me if im wrong...

arrrgh this is exactly my dilemma. some people tell me to do 3GB and some tell me to do 4GB. even apple does not have a consistent answer...

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
The 2.33GHz MBP will recognize 4GB and it will utilize the matching pair and perform at 3.3GB

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
Actually, it's not as clear cut as recognising 3.3GB RAM. It's gonna recognise something around that region, but not necessarily 3.3GB

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Actually, it's not as clear cut as recognising 3.3GB RAM. It's gonna recognise something around that region, but not necessarily 3.3GB

8-11% increase in RAM performance on 4GB is the technical information. Its easier in layman's terms to say 3.3GB.

1GB+2GB < 2GB+2GB even before Santa Rosa

Murkat101

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2008
Australia
So what did you do in the end, I have the same problem, everyone tells me a different story. I want to run VMFusion, and I'm not sure if I should get a 2gb+1gb or do the 4gb. Curious to know what you ended up doing

jeffkash

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2008
I know that I have seen speed/time tests for a 2.33ghz MBP with stock 2gb ram vs. 3gb vs. 4gb. They found that the 3gb was better than the 2gb in most areas, and that the 4gb was worse than the 3gb, but generally faster than the 2gb. Unfortunately, I cannot find this again since I had researched this some time ago when I decided to upgrade to 3gb of ram. Although I personally have not tested with 4gb, I am really pleased with how my MBP runs on 3gb compared to 2gb. First thing I noticed was how much faster Photoshop opened, and how much smoother it runs, not to mention, Photoshop really requires about 4gb of ram to really get the most out of it, so getting closer to that number really helped. It seems to me that most people have decided to go to 3gb since that is what the chipset can handle. Going to 4gb would be like jet fuel in your car. If it isn't made to handle it, it isn't going to work as well as regular unleaded fuel (maybe not the best analogy, I know, but I think you get my point).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.