Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jun 3, 2008, 05:04 PM   #1
Jack Flash
macrumors 65816

Converted 20 movies in Handbrake using modified AppleTV preset. Will they play?

I selected the AppleTV preset in Handbrake and upped the bit rate to 3000 kbps, the supposed max the AppleTV can play. Now, looking at the info on the files in iTunes, it seems the total bit rate of the files is 3607 kpbs. Did something go wrong? Will these files work still or are they garbage?
Jack Flash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 05:09 PM   #2
mallbritton
macrumors 6502

The files should play fine. I've played movies on my TV with higher average bit rates.

Regards,
Michael
mallbritton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 05:12 PM   #3
omni
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Flash View Post
I selected the AppleTV preset in Handbrake and upped the bit rate to 3000 kbps, the supposed max the AppleTV can play. Now, looking at the info on the files in iTunes, it seems the total bit rate of the files is 3607 kpbs. Did something go wrong? Will these files work still or are they garbage?
3000 is for video. 607 is probably the audio. They should play fine.

Honestly though - you converted 20 without checking at least one?

Not only that but you really should have tried checking 2500 (the appleTV preset in Handbrake versus 3000 with the same movie - just encode 1 chapter to test) before diving head in.

In the long run I think you will find you 3000 is kind of a waste.
omni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 10:30 PM   #4
Jack Flash
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni View Post
3000 is for video. 607 is probably the audio. They should play fine.

Honestly though - you converted 20 without checking at least one?

Not only that but you really should have tried checking 2500 (the appleTV preset in Handbrake versus 3000 with the same movie - just encode 1 chapter to test) before diving head in.

In the long run I think you will find you 3000 is kind of a waste.
I had run into some Macro Blocking with 2000 kbps samples I did and I am only doing this once, so I jumped to the max stated supported resolution.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 10:46 PM   #5
tom1971
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Why don't you just try it?
tom1971 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 11:00 PM   #6
Jack Flash
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1971 View Post
Why don't you just try it?
No AppleTV! I haven't placed the order yet.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 11:51 PM   #7
godslabrat
macrumors 6502

Quote:
No AppleTV! I haven't placed the order yet.
Encoding video is not an exact science. There are a lot of variables to consider, bitrates only being one of them. There's also your TV, your source material, and what are your expectations of the finished material.

There is going to be a lot of trial-and-error before you get the look you really like. I wouldn't do too many encodes without being able to test them.
godslabrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 07:10 AM   #8
Jack Flash
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by godslabrat View Post
Encoding video is not an exact science. There are a lot of variables to consider, bitrates only being one of them. There's also your TV, your source material, and what are your expectations of the finished material.

There is going to be a lot of trial-and-error before you get the look you really like. I wouldn't do too many encodes without being able to test them.
Like I mentioned, I had done some encoding at 2000 kbps and been displeased with the macro blocking I saw on dark areas. Space is absolutely not an issue, so I opted for the highest bit rate Apple claimed would work.

My confusion arose when iTunes told me the bi rate was 3607kbps, not the 3000kbps I had originally selected. That seems to have been cleared up now.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 07:57 AM   #9
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Like I mentioned, I had done some encoding at 2000 kbps and been displeased with the macro blocking I saw on dark areas. Space is absolutely not an issue, so I opted for the highest bit rate Apple claimed would work.
Um, if your doing all of this without even looking at it, and only want to do it once, you might just want to try using one of the HB snapshots released since the official 0.9.2 build (which I presume you are using), since the snapshots have vaq in x264 which basically eliminates the macroblocking you see even in lower bitrate encodes. For instance, using a hb snapshot with vaq a 2000 kbps video track will have *less* macroblocking than a 3000 kbps video track done with 0.9.2.

Having said that realize that the snapshots are not officially supported (though I submit that they are more stable the the 0.9.2 official release).

Oh, and there is no future proofing in video encoding, its an addiction
dynaflash is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater