Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
So... I got a $50 gift certificate for the iTunes music store but I have no desire to buy music, TV shows or movies.

Does anyone know a way I can transfer a gift certificate from iTunes store to the regular Apple Store?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
So... I got a $50 gift certificate for the iTunes music store but I have no desire to buy music, TV shows or movies.

Does anyone know a way I can transfer a gift certificate from iTunes store to the regular Apple Store?

No you can't; that's the point of the certificate; to buy music; how about I buy that from you (I buy music). PM me.

Ckapcik

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2013
Yes you can anymore

The original tread was entered in 2008, looks like it wasn't allowed at the time. But today (March 2013) I managed to do it. Whether an Itunes gift card or App Store card; they both go to the same apple account. I redeemed my gift cards (2 different gift cards from my birthday, 1 Itunes gift card and 1 App Store gift card)) from my Iphone. Then I checked my Imac, I can see the new balance from my Iphone and my Imac at the same time. Same account anyway. I hope this helps.

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
The original tread was entered in 2008, looks like it wasn't allowed at the time. But today (March 2013) I managed to do it. Whether an Itunes gift card or App Store card; they both go to the same apple account. I redeemed my gift cards (2 different gift cards from my birthday, 1 Itunes gift card and 1 App Store gift card)) from my Iphone. Then I checked my Imac, I can see the new balance from my Iphone and my Imac at the same time. Same account anyway. I hope this helps.

I'm pretty sure the OP meant transferring his iTunes gift card to an Apple Store gift card, as in actually buying something at an Apple store like a computer or an iPod.

As far as iTunes cards go, you've always been able to use them for everything billed to your iTunes account. I know some people are confused by the different cards though. I know someone that works at Wal Mart that told me you can only buy apps with the apps card, books with the iBooks card and music with the iTunes card. I had to correct him on this since he actually sells the stuff. It's not like if you get the Wal Mart Ggift card with the video game picture on it that you can only buy video games with it, that would just be silly.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

In early 2008 there was no app store (the App Store was introduced with the iPhone 3G and iOS 2.0), so no there couldn't have been any confusion on the topic.

The OP wanted to transfer iTunes/iOS/Mac App Store credit to Apple Retail credit (to buy computers and such); this is something that is still not allowed to this day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.