Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cousin Dirk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
London, UK
I came here to say the very same thing. I'm at work though, so I've not had opportunity to test it out.

It looks like they have a fairly decent selection, at least to rent (not all of them are available to buy, it seems).

EDIT: It also appears that the update is not quite done yet, a lot of film seem to only be accessible by the "More by these actors" links.

stustill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
London
Some films are actually £2.49 to rent - some available rent only, some purchase only. Where they are available in HD it is marked 'This movie is available in HD on AppleTV'. Unfortunately, I don't have AppleTV (yet) to check out the prices... anyone?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
£6.99? Eep. I was hoping for £4.99. Still it's nice to finally see films on our store. Shame I've got half of them on DVD and ripped to my iTunes already :D

Phelps

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2007
London
I just noticed this also, perhaps this is really in it's infancy.. There hasn't been any real press or news related to the new inclusion of films on the store?

Great news though - the pieces are falling in place for us Brits!

:D

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
£2.49 - £3.49 for a rental seems perfectly OK to me.

But what to rent first?

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
does anybody else believe this is a sign that Apple in the UK have considerable momentum?

I see more Macs than ever, starting to see quite a few iPhones now and obviously the iPod is huge here. The MacBook Air was on a million tv ads, as was the iPhone and there was a large outdoor campaign for the Get a Mac series.

And now we appear to be doing better in the video content game than any other of Apples markets. The TV Programmes section for instance is developing into quite a catalogue.

stustill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
London
"With iTunes Movie Rentals, once a movie is rented, it starts downloading from the iTunes Store directly to iTunes or Apple TV, and users with a fast Internet connection can start viewing the movie in seconds. Customers have up to 30 days to start watching it, and once a movie has been started customers have 48 hours to finish it — or watch it multiple times." - from Apple PR

48 hours to watch the rental, is this an increase on the rental expiry times in the states?

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
"With iTunes Movie Rentals, once a movie is rented, it starts downloading from the iTunes Store directly to iTunes or Apple TV, and users with a fast Internet connection can start viewing the movie in seconds. Customers have up to 30 days to start watching it, and once a movie has been started customers have 48 hours to finish it — or watch it multiple times." - from Apple PR

48 hours to watch the rental, is this an increase on the rental expiry times in the states?

Yes, they get 24 hours.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
£7 to buy a library title? Or head over to play.com and get it for £5 or less on DVD. I know which I prefer.
£3.49 and £2.49 also seem a little too high for rentals. I might give it a go, but a starting price of £1.49 would get a lot more people through the door.

And yeah, as above, no price cut for the apple TV (yet), and dammit, why HD only on appleTV, I have a hidef TV, a macbook with a dvi out port, and a DVI->HDMI adaptor. I want hi def on my macbook!

kyleeee99

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2008
Oxford, England
Well this is great news to say the least even if the prices are a little on the high side maybe, but once the service becomes a fully up and running service I think it might be a good time for us brits to start thinking about buying that Apple TV now :)

... I've also noticed that the UK Apple website has a nice new welcome screen / image.:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.