Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

el greenerino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2003
I have a feeling that I'll be getting a DV cam for Christmas and I my only comp is an ibook.

Do you guys think that iMovie or FCX would run well on a G3 900Mhz w/ 640 RAM all working under Panther or is my only option using iMovie on OS 9?

celaurie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2003
Scotland, UK.
Hrm, I'm not too up on these things but I have seen iMovie work well on several iBook models. I'm not too sure about Final Cut though.

DVDSP

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Southwick, MA
Last month we had my wife's G3 500 iBook w/640 MB on vacation and I was using iMovie (under Jaguar) mostly to cut out the junk from our videos and free up more tape space. It worked fine, a tiny bit slow but not more than I expected. I think you will be fine unless something about Panther screws it up.

No need to torture yourself with OS 9.

Good luck!

slowtreme

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Tampa FL
Just make sure your DV cam is supported by Apple. My Samsung doesn't even register being plugged in. But I can capture/download all my video on PC, copy it to my Mac and edit it that way.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Should work fine.

I use my 800Mhz iBook for iMovie editing of vacation videos. Capturing and editing works great, as long as you have lots of RAM installed. Applying special effects or transitions (i.e. anything that needs rendering) will take a while compared to a G4-based machine. I usually save those last when I have things to do other than wait for the rendering to finish.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.