Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 4, 2008, 04:17 AM   #1
bbbensen
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
More iBook problems!! *dances*

Well, a few of you might remember my other threads about my iBook having problems charging, and sparking. Now, I have just heard bad news from the local Apple retailer who were going to see what was wrong.


My HDD is dead. They say it wont spin. I have lost almost 700 songs, over 700 pictures, including pictures from an end of the year class trip, and countless hours of playing Sims 2.

I need to get that stuff back. I would love to get my data back so I can put it on my future mac. Any tips or recommendations, as the only option would cost about $1000, which is a little high.....
__________________
Yum.
bbbensen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 05:20 AM   #2
Matek
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Try to borrow an identical drive that works and replace electronics. That's about the only thing you can do. If it doesn't help, I'm afraid the only choice you have left is to find a company that deals with these problems, but it's going to cost you.
Matek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 07:08 AM   #3
MacDaddy08
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
I have taken a corrupt HD and stuck it in an external enclosure via USB and been able to get the data off of it. Now if the drive won't spin at all then you are still SOL but that is the only "cheap" option I can suggest to you. It may be worth the $10-$20 just to try it out.
__________________
13" MB 2.0GHz C2D 2 16GB iPhone 4s 16GB iPad 2 Black Wifi 16GB iPad 2 White Wifi 30GB 5th Gen. iPod
MacDaddy08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 08:07 AM   #4
krye
macrumors 68000
 
krye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbensen View Post
Well, a few of you might remember my other threads about my iBook having problems charging, and sparking. Now, I have just heard bad news from the local Apple retailer who were going to see what was wrong.


My HDD is dead. They say it wont spin. I have lost almost 700 songs, over 700 pictures, including pictures from an end of the year class trip, and countless hours of playing Sims 2.

I need to get that stuff back. I would love to get my data back so I can put it on my future mac. Any tips or recommendations, as the only option would cost about $1000, which is a little high.....
drivesavers.com

You can always do it yourself too. I've heard stories of people getting their hands on the same make and model hard drive and swapping the platters over. You have to do it in a clean room. So plan on building a plexiglass box with holes to insert gloves.

Last edited by krye; Jun 4, 2008 at 08:13 AM.
krye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 03:03 PM   #5
bbbensen
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy08 View Post
I have taken a corrupt HD and stuck it in an external enclosure via USB and been able to get the data off of it. Now if the drive won't spin at all then you are still SOL but that is the only "cheap" option I can suggest to you. It may be worth the $10-$20 just to try it out.
I might try that..... It seems like it could work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matek View Post
Try to borrow an identical drive that works and replace electronics. That's about the only thing you can do. If it doesn't help, I'm afraid the only choice you have left is to find a company that deals with these problems, but it's going to cost you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krye View Post
drivesavers.com

You can always do it yourself too. I've heard stories of people getting their hands on the same make and model hard drive and swapping the platters over. You have to do it in a clean room. So plan on building a plexiglass box with holes to insert gloves.

I dont think I want to try that. If I could get someone else to do it.....

krye, I looked at that link, and I think that I will give them a call. Thank you!
__________________
Yum.
bbbensen is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Several iBook G4 Problems. benvw99 PowerPC Macs 17 May 5, 2014 06:39 AM
iBook G3 Connection Problems trewyn15 PowerPC Macs 6 Feb 1, 2014 02:43 PM
Help! iBook G4 14" problems! RedCroissant PowerPC Macs 27 Jul 5, 2013 04:51 AM
Vintage iBook G4 with 2 problems Laurine MacBook 2 Dec 30, 2012 12:53 AM
Problems with iBook G4 mounting eHDD RedCroissant PowerPC Macs 3 Sep 22, 2012 08:27 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC