Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
The latch hook for my G4 Powerbook 12" has gone missing, it had been getting gradually less trustworthy but has finally detached itself.

Of course, my girlfriend was using the computer at the time (coincidence?) and she can't remember where she was when it happened!

Had a look on Google and most people seem to require an entirely new front bezel (from ifixit.com). I think I should be able to get away with just another latch hook.

Any ideas? I'd really like to be able to close my PB at night!

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin

BanjoBanker

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2006
Mt Brook, AL
I had the same problem last year. A real bummer. I did not lose the little hook, but I was unable to reattach it. I use a wide rubber band that was intended to be a bookmark. I bought at Barnes and Noble and have been quite pleased. It is a little awkward at times, but the 12" is not my main computer any more. I use it mainly when I am on the road.
Good luck getting it fixed. :D

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
If you do find the part, I just want to give you a warning...

The Aluminum PB 12" is a royal PIA to work on - dozens of screws and difficult to to get inside of it. You may just want to send it out for repair.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
Heard back from PBParts - apparently for the 12" PB the latch hook is part of the display bezel, so I'd have to purchase that and fit it. Given Merlin's sage advice, I reckon this is too much of a risk.

Guess it's another item on my growing list of reasons to upgrade to a nice new MBP!

In the meantime, anyone know a good source of industrial-strength rubber bands?

itanibro

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2008
Rome, NY
Try eBay

My friend, the 12" PB is one of the best notebooks Apple ever put out. I would hang onto the baby if I were you. Having said that...try eBay for used PB's or parts. cheers.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
My friend, the 12" PB is one of the best notebooks Apple ever put out. I would hang onto the baby if I were you. Having said that...try eBay for used PB's or parts. cheers.

You're right, one of the reasons I've not upgraded is because Apple has yet to come up with a serious contender.

A 12" MBP would have my wallet out in an instant!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.