Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jun 4, 2008, 10:31 AM   #1
macaco74
macrumors regular

Not showing up in device list?

Ok here is the story -

Establish iMac as data source on my apple tv and sync several GB of movies/music to my apple tv.

Worked great for several days.

Yesterday, my apple tv did not show up in the device list.

I looked at my apple tv and saw "scott's imac" grayed out but listed as the source.

For a goof I selected "add shared library" (for streaming).

I go to my imac and there it was "set up apple tv"

I rebooted both the imac and apple tv (vias unplug) and the apple tv still did not show up as a recognized device.

I had to re-establish the partnership and re-sync everything again.

I have leopard (latest update - last week) and take 2.

Any idea how to ensure this does not happen? I am connected over the ethernet and not wireless.

Thanks!
Scott
macaco74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 11:24 AM   #2
MikieMikie
macrumors 6502a

Next time this happens, if it does, try quitting out of iTunes and then restarting it. Sometimes network interference will cause the connection between the AppleTV and iTunes to be dropped, and auto-recovery is, at best, spotty.
MikieMikie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 11:39 AM   #3
macaco74
macrumors regular

I did, restarted, and all other possible solutions.

If it happens again, I will try all the above again and then call apple. It was just too late at night for me to go through the troubleshooting process with a representative.
macaco74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 12:17 PM   #4
dbwie
macrumors 6502

1) Wake the appleTV from standby mode first, and then launch iTunes. 2) If that doesn't work, then restart the computer and launch iTunes. 3) If that doesn't work, do a reboot of the AppleTV unit by pressing the "down" and "menu" buttons on the AppleTV remote for a few seconds. I have never had to go beyond step (1) above when AppleTV hasn't shown up in my iTunes source list, which happens once in a while. Step (3) has worked for me if the AppleTV seems slow and unresponsive. I also have a wired connection from my computer to the AppleTV.

Last edited by dbwie; Jun 4, 2008 at 12:22 PM.
dbwie is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater