Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

makaveli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2003
Hey, I just got a new ibook G4 a couple of days ago and I would like to setup my mail. Is there a way to set it up so it retrieves my AOL mail? Please tell me how to set it up in the settings, because I dont know what to enter in certain areas. Thanks in advance.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Afraid not. AOL is proprietary, and i do not believe they allow access to their mail servers outside of the AOL application. Word of advice, you should really get away from AOL, they're considered to be one of the worst ISP's in existence. Go for a standard ISP that gives you internet connection, and POP3 accounts that Mail (or any other mail application) could use... Usually local ISPs work the best.

pnw

makaveli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2003
Thanx for the info. I work for Time Warner so I get AOL for free, pretty lucky huh? Haha I will just open a yahoo mail account or something like that. Hopefully that will work. Thanx again for the info.

Noiseboy

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2002
Lurking nearby.
Originally posted by makaveli
Thanx for the info. I work for Time Warner so I get AOL for free, pretty lucky huh? Haha I will just open a yahoo mail account or something like that. Hopefully that will work. Thanx again for the info.

Actually, and I may be wrong, but I don't think you can use Yahoo mail with OSX Mail either.
The only reason I keep AOL is to get online when I'm away from home. Maybe you should get a .Mac account and thus a Mac.com email address and just use AOL to actually get online.

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.