Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Jun 5, 2008, 03:05 AM   #1
dejabu18
macrumors newbie

installing OS X SERVER 10.3 in imac G5

sorry to ask this kind of stupid question but Im a newbie in the mac world so my question is if is possible to install OS X server 10.3 in an imac G5 because I
have a g5 imac and I want to run a ftp server on it

thanks for your answers

dejabu18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 06:10 AM   #2
foidulus
macrumors 6502a

Um, if all you are doing is running an ftp server, you don't need a whole server OS to do that...

OS X has an ftp server built in, type "man ftpd" to get started.

Plus there are plenty of other programs out there that will do this, sourceforge might be a good place to start if you don't like ftpd.
foidulus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 06:37 AM   #3
Sherman Homan
macrumors 6502

Welcome to the forum! We like noob questions! Only the first two G5 iMacs ran 10.3 so check that your Machine ID is 8,1 (About this Mac, More info, Machine ID) As foidulus says, FTP doesn't require OS X Server, but if you have a license sitting around collecting dust, then go for it! Here is a list of FTP servers and clients that will run on a regular (non-server) OS X system:
http://www.pure-mac.com/ftp.html
Sherman Homan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 07:42 AM   #4
dejabu18
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
Welcome to the forum! We like noob questions! Only the first two G5 iMacs ran 10.3 so check that your Machine ID is 8,1 (About this Mac, More info, Machine ID) As foidulus says, FTP doesn't require OS X Server, but if you have a license sitting around collecting dust, then go for it! Here is a list of FTP servers and clients that will run on a regular (non-server) OS X system:
http://www.pure-mac.com/ftp.html
thanks guys I know ftpd from unix I will try to run ftpd from a normal OS X you are right because I have problems with my OS X 10.3 server the first problem was the cd player when I tried to boot from the dvd to install the OS 10.3 server it dont boot the machine stay trying to load for a while but at the end shows a circle on the screen so I tried an other way I installed from an other mac cd player connected by a fireware cable (the xserve mode) I succesfully install the OS X 10.3 server but when I try to boot from my new server it dont boot thats why I post this question

but thanks for the advice
dejabu18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking