Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jun 5, 2008, 12:00 PM   #1
donster28
macrumors 6502a

CANADIANS REJOICE-Apple TV Rocks!

just got my APTV yesterday (and a freebie gift at that) and let me tell you it runs like butter. i got the 40gig version so i guess i will just be streaming my own stuff and will only be using the space for rentals.

i only encountered a few glitches when i was trying to access my itunes account from it (i got the dreaded "account or password is not recognized" error message) but after searching for a solution here, a quick software update solved the problem.

also, synching with my stuff from my MBP slowed things down so i went back and opted not to sync. streaming saved the day!...and boy, is it fast!!! I have N.

rented national treasure 2 HD which took a little more than 45 mins to download (was able to play it halfway through.).

picture quality? i tried it both on my 32" sony bravia and my benq w500 projector via HDMI..."it's awesome!" is an understatement. although picture is a little downgraded from bluray, it's still high definition and it's still a lot better than regular dvd and cable hd at that. i believe this is not a hardware issue but a software one. pretty soon movie companies are able to use better compression...can't wait.

so canadians, consider yourselves lucky, we now have a full-pledged appletv.

this is just my 2 cents. ;-)

Last edited by donster28; Jun 5, 2008 at 01:03 PM.
donster28 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 12:14 PM   #2
ayale99
macrumors regular

Congrats northern neighbors. Make yourself a big plate of poutine, sit back and enjoy. Lucky you with the 48hr deal too.
ayale99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 12:40 PM   #3
reidjr
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donster28 View Post
just got my APTV yesterday (and a freebie gift at that) and let me tell you it runs like butter.

i only encountered a few glitches when i was trying to access my itunes account from it (i got the dreaded "account or password is not recognized" error message) but after searching for a solution here, a quick software update solved the problem.

also, synching with my stuff from my MBP slowed things down so i went back and opted not to sync. streaming saved the day!...and boy, is it fast!!! I have N.

rented national treasure 2 HD which took a little more than 45 mins to download (was able to play it halfway through.).

picture quality? i tried it both on my 32" sony bravia and my benq w500 projector via HDMI..."it's awesome!" is an understatement. although picture is a little downgraded from bluray, it is still high definition and it's still a lot better that regular dvd and cable hd at that. i believe this is not a hardware issue but a software one. pretty soon movie companies are able to use better compression...can't wait.

this is just my 2 cents. ;-)
I could not agree more its amazing.
reidjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 12:48 PM   #4
donster28
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayale99 View Post
Congrats northern neighbors. Make yourself a big plate of poutine, sit back and enjoy. Lucky you with the 48hr deal too.
thanks neighbor. here's hoping apple revises ur deal to 48hrs. it helps when u have lots on the plate.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 07:17 PM   #5
naftalim
macrumors 6502

can someone suggest what fine wine goes with Poutine

Quote:
Old Jun 6, 2008, 12:31 PM   #6
adrianseto
macrumors newbie

Do folks in Canada access the same itunes store as the US? In other words, if I have a Canadian based credit card I can buy from US itunes store??

Thanks.
adrianseto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2008, 01:04 PM   #7
tom1971
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianseto View Post
Do folks in Canada access the same itunes store as the US? In other words, if I have a Canadian based credit card I can buy from US itunes store??

Thanks.
No, but you can create a US account without a US credit card, so you can have the best of both "worlds" ;-)
tom1971 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2008, 01:28 PM   #8
donster28
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1971 View Post
No, but you can create a US account without a US credit card, so you can have the best of both "worlds" ;-)
ahhmm...i don't think you can. you have to have a US credit card to create a US itunes account. sorry to say.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 01:33 PM   #9
northy124
macrumors 68020

Quote:
ahhmm...i don't think you can. you have to have a US credit card to create a US itunes account. sorry to say.
No you don't, you can use US Gift Cards.
northy124 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2008, 01:34 PM   #10
tom1971
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Not true - i have one
Old Jun 6, 2008, 01:43 PM   #11
aethelbert
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1971 View Post
Quote:
You can use iTunes store credit.
aethelbert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2008, 02:17 PM   #12
gwsat
macrumors 68000

Quote:
The Apple TV is good stuff, eh?

I have loved my Apple TV in the few months I have had it. I find myself using it and iTunes more and more as a repository for DVD files that I have ripped and converted to MP4 with Handbrake. Although I bought it because it would allow me to rent HD movies, I donít do that much anymore because I donít like the 24 hour limit on finishing a movie once I have started watching it. Thatís the motion industryís paranoia at work and not Appleís fault, of course, but it is still a pain in the fanny.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 03:39 PM   #13
The Hammer
macrumors regular

Quote:
While sitting here in front of the computer after shovelling the driveway, chomping on my poutine. I have to wonder if Apple Tv is really worth it yet for Canadians? Is there enough content to make it worth while?
The Hammer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2008, 04:50 PM   #14
tom1971
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hammer View Post
While sitting here in front of the computer after shovelling the driveway, chomping on my poutine. I have to wonder if Apple Tv is really worth it yet for Canadians? Is there enough content to make it worth while?
If the content in the Canadian store is not sufficient for you, just go to the US store...no problem ;-)
Old Jul 14, 2008, 05:20 PM   #15
BobF4321
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hammer View Post
I have to wonder if Apple Tv is really worth it yet for Canadians? Is there enough content to make it worth while?
Not that much yet, but my main interest is HD movies, and I'm having fun revisiting old movies now available in HD. Plus the rental is cheaper than Rogers, and I can trade in Air Miles for iTunes gift cards, making rentals "free".
BobF4321 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 08:12 AM   #16
Keebler
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF4321 View Post
Not that much yet, but my main interest is HD movies, and I'm having fun revisiting old movies now available in HD. Plus the rental is cheaper than Rogers, and I can trade in Air Miles for iTunes gift cards, making rentals "free".
ok..i just went HEMMMM?? trade airmiles in for itunes gift cards? me is going to check that out right away...after i finish my breakfast poutine and beavertail.
Keebler is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater