Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jun 5, 2008, 12:24 PM   #1
BrianDavid0523

Sell me on AppleTV please.

Ok guys....I've read all the promo material from Apple on the Apple TV, but still don't understand why I would want or need this.

Basically, if I don't wanna buy TV shows from iTunes, or rip DVDs to a HD, then what else would I do with this thing?

I dunno - I think I'm just not "getting it"?
BrianDavid0523 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 12:31 PM   #2
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to MacBoobsPro
You can buy or rent movies, TV shows and music direct from your TV with just a few clicks.

You say you dont want to rip DVDs but the convenience of having 100s of movies (after months of ripping ) at your fingers tips that start in an instant is great. The worst part is choosing what you want to watch.

I will admit I have had a few problems with mine but it turns out that the network wasn't configured correctly and so the ATV kept playing up. Now everything seems fine.

There isnt much else you can do with it apart from view your photos and surf YouTube from your couch (great for parties) but it is a very good device. And everyone who asks "Whats that under your TV?" come away mightily impressed.
MacBoobsPro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 12:32 PM   #3
reidjr
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDavid0523 View Post
Ok guys....I've read all the promo material from Apple on the Apple TV, but still don't understand why I would want or need this.

Basically, if I don't wanna buy TV shows from iTunes, or rip DVDs to a HD, then what else would I do with this thing?

Apple tv is not for everyone.

Here are the main thigs you can do

1)Buy tv shows.
2)Buy/rent movies.
3)You can aslo have your music and podcasts stores on the apple tv unit.
reidjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 12:35 PM   #4
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:

No, I think you're getting it. It's just not aimed at how you do things.
aristobrat is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 12:37 PM   #5
donster28
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

nothing else really. to me it's benificial 'cause i rent bluray and regualr movies from my local shop. i've been always hit by late charges so my bill added up in time. being able to use it for the first time last night, i was amazed on how easy it was to rent HD movies, and the picture quality was there, enought to brilliantly show on my 150 inch projector screen.

i don't plan of buying movies at the moment. i have my own bluray collection going together with my hd-dvd's...i know, it's a dead format but hey, my titles arent available on blu and the quality is the same.

youtube is just what it is, but being able to watch it so conveniently on ur tv is a different experience...and the picture quality didn't suck as bad as i expected.

being able to stream my subscribed podcasts and watching them on tv is another different and better experience.

the APTV to me is simply my own personal video store. other than that it's just a gadget sitting on my entertainment unit.

oh, and did i mention that i am a sucker when it comes to HD trailers, and there's tons of them to download from APTV.

i hope this helps.
donster28 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 12:38 PM   #6
tom1971
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
Apple tv is not for everyone.

Here are the main thigs you can do

1)Buy tv shows.
2)Buy/rent movies.
3)You can aslo have your music and podcasts stores on the apple tv unit.
You can also play your own movies or downloads form the net by adding some additional functions.
I just LOVE my ATV, I also use it to display my photography. much nicer than a 7inch digital picture frame...
tom1971 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 12:41 PM   #7
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
No, I think you're getting it. It's just not aimed at how you do things.
Its not for everyone. In its very basic form, whatever you have in your iTunes and iPhoto libraries you can view, listen, play, on your TV. And now you can buy and rent movies, TV shows and music. Its more of a convenience thing than a must have gadget.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 12:55 PM   #8
ayale99
macrumors regular

If you don't want ALL of your media at your finger tips, then don't buy it.
ayale99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 12:57 PM   #9
tom1971
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayale99 View Post
If you don't want ALL of your media at your finger tips, then don't buy it.
If you want ALL your media at your finger tips, buy it and hack it
Old Jun 5, 2008, 12:59 PM   #10
nick9191
macrumors 68040

At one time I was seriously considering buying a 3.2 x 8 Mac Pro just so I could rip all my DVD's to it faster
nick9191 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 01:00 PM   #11
ayale99
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacboobsPro View Post
Y

You say you dont want to rip DVDs but the convenience of having 100s of movies (after months of ripping ) at your fingers tips that start in an instant is great. The worst part is choosing what you want to watch.
Agreed! I have a hard time deciding what to watch as well. 275 rips makes it hard to choose.

I wish there was a way to see what movies you haven't watched yet. OR a way to view which movies were "recently added" to your library. I know it sounds stupid but once your library gets to 275+ movies, the one column AppleTV list gets quite loooong.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 01:02 PM   #12
tom1971
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayale99 View Post

I wish there was a way to see what movies you haven't watched yet. .
This is available in ATV Files and in nitoTV.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 01:07 PM   #13
zedsdead
macrumors 68030

The biggest advantages for me, besides a digital movie library, is having my music and photos available at any time on my tv and sound system.

Others like Youtube and podcasts on their tv's, though I really don't use those features much.
zedsdead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 01:09 PM   #14
ayale99
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1971 View Post
*Hint, Hint* Are you making a lot of money with those Patchstick hacks?
Old Jun 5, 2008, 01:14 PM   #15
dbwie
macrumors 6502

buy one...

If you have a good digital A/V receiver, and an HDTV, and a wired or wireless network, then the AppleTV will plug in seamlessly. It acts as a bridge between iTunes, the internet, and your entertainment center. If you want to bring those together, the AppleTV is for you. Apple will be updating the software to add new features (hopefully Safari on AppleTV). In the meantime, there are some good third party hacks that offer added functionality.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 01:26 PM   #16
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

Um, why "sell you" ? If you like the idea of what it does and can afford one, then go buy one. If not, then don't. *confused*.
dynaflash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 01:27 PM   #17
Galley
macrumors 65816

Access to 17,000 tracks of lossless audio.
Galley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 02:44 PM   #18
TuckBodi
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1971 View Post
...and Sapphire
----------------------
I bought mine because I like toys and I wanted a way to have an audio jukebox for my music. Just for that it was a winner.

Then they added YouTube with the higher rez videos than what you see on the web. Like another poster said, this is great fun at parties.

Then I wanted to have my movies online so I started ripping 'em and now I'm addicted watching them on there.

I also had some other content not supported by the original ATV so I hacked it. When Jobs said the ATV was a hobby this is what he meant. It's been like a science experiment playing around with the different hacks and trying to get them to work but I've had a geeky blast doing so.
TuckBodi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 06:15 PM   #19
naftalim
macrumors 6502

Best reply below.

I no longer want to go to movie theaters to see a film. never mind the video store.

The biggest problem I now have is too much content, have to make decisions what to watch, instead of having the decision made for me the way it used to work with TV.

A huge part of the decision for me was that I don't care to listen to music or watch media on my Mac in my den. With Apple TV, I listen to my music in the living room with 5.1 Surround Sound, and can switch in an instant to watch TV or a movie or a podcast, or You Tube, or see my photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbwie View Post
If you have a good digital A/V receiver, and an HDTV, and a wired or wireless network, then the AppleTV will plug in seamlessly. It acts as a bridge between iTunes, the internet, and your entertainment center. If you want to bring those together, the AppleTV is for you. Apple will be updating the software to add new features (hopefully Safari on AppleTV). In the meantime, there are some good third party hacks that offer added functionality.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 06:20 PM   #20
tom1971
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbwie View Post
Check http://www.brandon-holland.com/ for Couchsurfer
Old Jun 5, 2008, 07:25 PM   #21
EglMtn
macrumors member

Don't buy one

From your description an TV is not for you. It looks like you understand it completely, but it just isn't suited for you. I really enjoy mine, but I don't mind converting all my movies.
EglMtn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2008, 07:56 AM   #22
BrianDavid0523

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedsdead View Post
The biggest advantages for me, besides a digital movie library, is having my music and photos available at any time on my tv and sound system.

Others like Youtube and podcasts on their tv's, though I really don't use those features much.

OK now this interests me - how does Apple TV allow me to play my iTunes music thorugh my sound system? That is something I would love to be able to do.
BrianDavid0523 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2008, 08:04 AM   #23
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603

Quote:
OK now this interests me - how does Apple TV allow me to play my iTunes music thorugh my sound system? That is something I would love to be able to do.
If you TV has surround sound then your music will play through that (albeit in Stereo).

If you are just looking to play music through a set of speakers maybe look at getting AirTunes or Airport Express whatever its called.

BTW: To set your movies as 'unwatched' right click on the file in iTunes and click 'mark as new' then when you view it in ATV it will have a blue dot next to it. This also helps towards ATV auto syncing 'unwatched' content.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 10:32 AM   #24
gwsat
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacboobsPro View Post
BTW: To set your movies as 'unwatched' right click on the file in iTunes and click 'mark as new' then when you view it in ATV it will have a blue dot next to it. This also helps towards ATV auto syncing 'unwatched' content.
Great tip! I had not known that, thanks.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 11:43 AM   #25
chicagdan
macrumors 6502a

I bought an Apple TV last week ... generally, good concept. But I have to say, the 24 hour window to watch a movie once you start absolutely pisses me off. I have 11 month old twin boys at home ... I rarely have two uninterrupted hours to do ANYTHING. Last week I rented an HD movie, watched about half of it ... then got interrupted, it got late, I went to sleep. By the time I was free to watch the rest, too late, 24 hours were up. This is going to be a regular issue for me.

Can't they, at least, offer some kind of $1 per day "late fee" on these movies, so I can pay a bit more to finish it? The damn movie was removed from Apple TV and the only way I can watch it is to pay for a full price new download.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater