Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Masters

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
California
Hello everyone. This is the first time I've clicked on this section of the forums because now I actually own a Mac! Yes I know, I'm excited and that's kind of weird, but you've no idea how long I saved up for that day to come when I could own a Mac.

Anyway, I've seen people hover the mouse over the icons on the dock and the icons seem to enlarge as the mouse scrolls over them. How do you do that? Mine doesn't do that.

Also, are there any good programs out there to customize my Macbook? For example, changing the sound effects, screen savers, any other cool apps?

I know, I'm a total Mac newb, but hey we all start somewhere. :)

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
The settings for the dock are under: System Preferences/Dock

Just check on Magnification to make the Icons larger as you scroll over them.

You can also adjust the size of the icons, and a couple other things in that box.

Masters

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
California
Sweet! I got it, thanks a lot!

Keep the tips coming. I want my Macbook to be as cool as everyone else's. Have some sympathy for the new guy.

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!
I'd recommend Leopard: The Missing Manual by David Pogue... there are lots of good video tutorials on Apple's websites, and plenty of hints and tips to be had, but really they add value on top of a basic knowledge of the way Macs work and are designed. Unless you grew up with Macs (which is how I learnt them), it's best to start from the beginning and then add to it, otherwise it's easy to get overwhelmed by the differences from PCs.

tchait

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2008
Open up and go through your System Preferences... you can personalize your screen saver, sounds, desktop and other things there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.