Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 5, 2008, 01:08 PM   #1
jpk32092
macrumors 6502

iPhone Water Damaged...

My iPhone got soaked and I've tried everything I can do to get it to work. If I take it to the Apple store, is all the can do is offer me a $250 refurb replacement? Thanks...
jpk32092 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 01:11 PM   #2
gloss
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to gloss
Yes.

I'd give your iPhone more time over a heat source to dry out. I've heard of wet devices coming back to life. Maybe leave it in your glove compartment for a few days.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 01:18 PM   #3
kleo
macrumors regular

DONT HEAT IT! just let it sit untouched for a few days. i bet it will come back on. After that amount of time if it doesnt work let me know and we can resort to more drastic measures.
kleo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 01:39 PM   #4
gloss
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to gloss
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleo View Post
DONT HEAT IT! just let it sit untouched for a few days. i bet it will come back on. After that amount of time if it doesnt work let me know and we can resort to more drastic measures.
Heating it won't damage it unless the heat is excessive. A glove compartment should work fine.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 02:17 PM   #5
woodekm
macrumors 6502a

This is for if you want to try to get the water out (and you dont take it back). I do this with watches that get water in them. Its gonna sound hair brained but it works.

Get a tupperware with a nice tight lid and fill it (almost to the top) with instant rice.

Shake as much water out of the phone as possible. Set your phone on top of the rice (you dont want to get rice or rice dust in your phone) and close the container. Dont shake it. Let it sit for a day or so. Of course the longer the better. I always felt a warm area in the house is best (like *near* the sun) to leave it sit. Not IN direct sunlight.

The heat causes condensation and the rice absorbs the water and dries it out.

I do this with watches, but I usually pull the crown open and put it in the rice. It really should be instant type rice because that REALLY absorbs water better than any other type.

Like I said, its a hairbrained idea but it works for my watches. Should as well for the phone. If it's anything OTHER than water, you may be screwed.
MacMini - 2.0GHz, -Sammy 24in 10728
woodekm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 02:43 PM   #6
ToltinBy
macrumors newbie

mine got run over by a car and soaked. It dried out overnight, and works.... Of course, you have to guess what is in the screen on account of it's shattered.
ToltinBy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 04:38 PM   #7
swapna81
macrumors member

I accidently dropped my phone in the water... mayb for less than 20 seconds.
I immdtly got the message repair needed few times.. it was not working properly for 6-7 hrs but later it is working perfectly alright.
swapna81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 08:53 PM   #8
wako
macrumors 65816

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XlkKQoUlOQg

maybe you guys should check out that video. Goto around 2minutes 15 seconds where they talk about water damage. Its something worth trying before you splurge out 250 bucks for a refurb. Since the thing is already bricked why not give it a try. Worst comes to worst you are out 20 bucks and then maybe another 250 if you get a refurb. But at best you fixed your iphone yourself for just 20 bucks
wako is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 09:02 PM   #9
jpk32092
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by wako View Post
http://youtube.com/watch?v=XlkKQoUlOQg

maybe you guys should check out that video. Goto around 2minutes 15 seconds where they talk about water damage. Its something worth trying before you splurge out 250 bucks for a refurb. Since the thing is already bricked why not give it a try. Worst comes to worst you are out 20 bucks and then maybe another 250 if you get a refurb. But at best you fixed your iphone yourself for just 20 bucks
except i would have to replace the battery and i'm not ready to open up my iphone risking getting it fixed at all..
jpk32092 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone