Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mokeyboy128

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
Hey i was wondering if an iphone works without activating a service with at&t with it? I want to buy an iphone but plan to just use it as an ipod. The reason why i want to buy an iphone over the touch is because i like the design better plus i want the option of a camera and built in speakers.

thanks

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!
You could just buy an iPhone and unlock it. It'll work without a SIM card in it, so you could play music and take pictures. But really, why not get an iPod Touch and a cheapo digital camera? Even the most basic digital camera would be much better than the quality in any phone's camera, let alone the iPhone.

mokeyboy128

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
I am buying a iphone from a guy who posted an ad up on craigslist who is selling it for $300 dollars 8gb iphone.

I am alittle confused with the replys i got. All i want to use the iphone for is to playing music, web serfing (wifi), taking pictures and youtube (wifi). I will not be activating the iphone, but will i still be able to use those features of the phone?

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
I am alittle confused with the replys i got. All i want to use the iphone for is to playing music, web serfing (wifi), taking pictures and youtube (wifi). I will not be activating the iphone, but will i still be able to use those features of the phone?
the iphone cannot be used at all without activating

buy a touch and some camera like this: http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Coolpix...r_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1212697685&sr=1-11

itll be better than the iphone camera - its got a zoom and a flash! itll be cheaper as well

mokeyboy128

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
Why isn't the iphone able to be used without activating it? What is stopping you from using it as a ipod? does it just not turn on?

ballen420

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2008
South of Boston
You can use a program to get past the activation - Pwnage. Plenty of posts on the hacks forum to figure out how to use it. You'll be able to use all the features except for calling out.

Only downside is you won't get the benefit of 2.0 until they publish a program to unlock that firmware.

Your choice is your choice. Don't listen to bitter people and their 'ridiculous' comments.

mokeyboy128

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
The guy who i am buying the iphone says that it has once been activated by himself but it does not have a sim card in it. Now would his activation keep it working after the sim card has been taken out?

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Why isn't the iphone able to be used without activating it? What is stopping you from using it as a ipod? does it just not turn on?

When you turn it on, you're stuck at a "Connect to iTunes" emergency screen (you can slide to use for emergency 911 calls).

When you connect to iTunes, you're brought to the activation screen.

There are programs that can bypass this, though...but it's not legit of course.

mokeyboy128

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
as i stated in past posts, i would be buy an 8gb iphone for $300 on craigslist which is the same price as an 8gb ipod touch, so i thought i might as well buy the iphone which has a little more features.

thanks so much guys for helping me out, you saved me from making a big mistake of buying the iphone without activation

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
as i stated in past posts, i would be buy an 8gb iphone for $300 on craigslist which is the same price as an 8gb ipod touch, so i thought i might as well buy the iphone which has a little more features.

thanks so much guys for helping me out, you saved me from making a big mistake of buying the iphone without activation

Sorry, perhaps I'm being a bit mean. Still, I honestly, honestly, honestly would just try and find a used touch instead. I'm sure you could probably get a 16GB model for $300. Getting an iPhone over a touch just for the features you listed just reminds me of people who buy giant off-road capable SUVs to drive around in the city because 'they're tall'.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
I'd say that spending a considerable amount of extra money for a tinny mono speaker and a crappy 2MP camera is pretty deserving of ridicule.

Just get an iPod touch.

Actually, it's a stereo speaker...just both on one side of the device.

And:

Is better than what I've seen from Camera phones with 5 MP.

Attachments

• img0023hh0.jpg
    img0023hh0.jpg
    561.7 KB · Views: 314

paulold

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
What about this? All signs are pointing to a 3G iPhone coming out next week and if so, I plan to purchase one. What will I do with my current iPhone that was a refurb I got from AT&T for $250? Sell it on eBay? I've never done that kind of thing before. Could I give it to one of my nephews? They wouldn't be able to use it as a cell phone, but could they use it as a wifi device and an iPod without a phone plan?

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Actually, it's a stereo speaker...just both on one side of the device.

And:

Is better than what I've seen from Camera phones with 5 MP.

Photography is 80% eye, 20% device. I could show you awesome photos taken with a pin-hole camera, but it doesn't meant that people shouldn't want better devices. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.