Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Nov 30, 2003, 09:40 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

An Open Letter to the creators of ipodsdirtysecret.com.

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: An Open Letter to the creators of ipodsdirtysecret.com.

Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2003, 10:16 AM   #2
ITR 81
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ITR 81
We should petition the web hosting company

If enought people get behind it which I think most will, we could bring the site down.
ITR 81 is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2003, 10:32 AM   #3
tazo

Send a message via ICQ to tazo Send a message via AIM to tazo Send a message via Yahoo to tazo
I might actually read it if the person who wrote it had enough sense to make it a pdf, or hell even a standardized font like timesnewroman/arial 12 pt...what is this bold futura bs? jeez...

OK now pardon me, but I am no english teacher, however there are some gigantic things I dont see in this that there should be.

1. A proper heading, regardless of its open letter status it should be more formal..

2. Your introduction to the problem is fine, but you need to go indepth as to what the problem truly is, how it has affected people- etc.

3. A call to action. Now I know that most people when they write forget this, however it is the single most important part of an open letter like this. You need to put in there what you want to happen. Right now it is little more than a collective rambling. Ya need to write something in there that is gonna make me, everybody else, and the niestat brothers think!

4. For the love of all that is Holy, please use a standardized font such as 12pt arial/Times New Roman

5. A conclusion? You need a conclusion....Rambling until the end is not a conclusion. What has happened? What do you want to happen? How will this effect others in the future if these people are not stopped. Why should I care about these people? These are the questions to be thinking about when you are writing a conclusion on something of this nature

Last edited by tazo; Nov 30, 2003 at 10:39 AM.
tazo is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2003, 11:09 AM   #4
TomSmithMacEd
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to TomSmithMacEd
I thought they took the site down already.
http://www.xanga.com/erikmyxter
Looking for a powerbook.
TomSmithMacEd is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2003, 11:41 AM   #5
zellin
macrumors regular

I wrote this

The font is Helvetica. I see no problem with it.
It has been well documented that for users who do not have a PDF Plugin in their browser are extremely annoyed by PDFs on the web and would rather view an HTML.
My call to action is at the end, you yourself stated you didn't read it:
"I knew something had to be done._ I invite any Mac users to share their outcry via email to ipodsdirtysecret@hotmail.com, and, if you have seen the defaced ads, feel free to look up their name in your local yellow pages._Despite the fact that a less tech-savvy potential iPod buyer could walk by one of the messages and decide to not purchase an iPod, I imagine that walking by the message several times daily could be an eyesore._ The Neistats have lied to every person who has clicked the link, and their entire motive of informing iPod users of the "dirty secret" is being contradicted by their stupidity in refusing to acknowledge the truth._ So join me by formally requesting that the Neistats add the iPod Battery Replacement information to their websites."
This is not designed to be a perfect english language example, but just for people to read. I am sorry I feel asleep during english in 9th grade.

Last edited by zellin; Nov 30, 2003 at 11:50 AM.
zellin is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2003, 09:25 PM   #6
Kenny Pollock
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Kenny Pollock
I think I know the guy who owns their datacenter personally, I'll give him a call tomorrow.

Too bad I stopped defacements/hacking earlier this year, I could've had this site down in 3 seconds
Kenny Pollock is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2003, 09:28 PM   #7
chrismarriott
macrumors newbie

I did my part

I wrote in with my thoughts. I think everyone who is concerned about the impact these people are having on the iPod and the Mac community should do the same.
chrismarriott is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2003, 09:29 PM   #8
Kenny Pollock
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Kenny Pollock
Info posted publicly:
http://www.macommunity.com/forums/in...&st=0&#entry51

Last edited by kidd0; Nov 30, 2003 at 09:47 PM.
Kenny Pollock is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion