Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechGirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Hey guys, I could really use some help here.

I've got a new 15" mbp that tonight I drove out with to the apple store. It was unable to mount external devices (iPods, external hd's, etc). The Genius ended up doing an archive install, saying that the mounting disks were running full throttle (making it EXTREMELY hot) but not succeeding; something in the OS had gotten stuck. So I left after he did an archive and install and tested my drive and iPod. Everything was working....I thought. Long drive back home. Open up my computer, try to adjust screen brightness...nothing. Try to adjust volume. Nothing. None of the function keys work. The eject button works, and strangely enough, the F12 button which should raise the volume also tries to eject. The pause button brings up the spaces window (showing all four spaces).

Very frustrated, could use some advice. Do I need to do an erase and install? These keys worked fine before the archive/install. Thanks!

EDIT: Okay, additional problem. Multitouch no longer works either.

John89

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2008
Scotland
Hey guys, I could really use some help here.

I've got a new 15" mbp that tonight I drove out with to the apple store. It was unable to mount external devices (iPods, external hd's, etc). The Genius ended up doing an archive install, saying that the mounting disks were running full throttle (making it EXTREMELY hot) but not succeeding; something in the OS had gotten stuck. So I left after he did an archive and install and tested my drive and iPod. Everything was working....I thought. Long drive back home. Open up my computer, try to adjust screen brightness...nothing. Try to adjust volume. Nothing. None of the function keys work. The eject button works, and strangely enough, the F12 button which should raise the volume also tries to eject. The pause button brings up the spaces window (showing all four spaces).

Very frustrated, could use some advice. Do I need to do an erase and install? These keys worked fine before the archive/install. Thanks!

Exact same problem here! Anybody know of a fix?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Try resetting the SMC. It contains trackpad support.

As for your F keys, go to System Preferences --> Keyboard & Mouse and make sure "Use all F keys as standard function keys" is unticked.

John89

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2008
Scotland
Try resetting the SMC. It contains trackpad support.

As for your F keys, go to System Preferences --> Keyboard & Mouse and make sure "Use all F keys as standard function keys" is unticked.

I will reset the SMC once everything is up to date. Im at the standard 10.5 at the moment.

As for the F keys, that is already selected?! Its weird, its as if my MBP has the keyboard settings for a normal MacBook?! The buttons work, but all the functions are muddled up!

Do you think the update will sort this?

P.s thanks for the quick reply!!

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Well, if you haven't already, I'd do a complete reinstall. Not an Archive and Install, a refresh install. Backup everything (Time Machine if you use it) and then start fresh.

Then once everything is installed, download all the latest updates, then reset the SMC and PRAM.

The updates might sort it, but I'd start fresh just in case you end up with problems further on.

captual

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2008
10.5.7 WINDOWS F keys,Lights,eject key inop.

APPLE Case #124762891

After install of MAC OS X 10.5.7:

PROBLEM: Upon opening windows XP with Bootcamp, None of top function keys work, Key pad lights not working, eject button not working.
FIX: Used MacBook Pro (Mac OS X Install DVD), select "Install Bootcamp". , Select "install/repair". , Reboot Windows, Go to START,
Go to CONTROL PANEL, Go to PERFORMANCE and MAINTENANCE, Select BOOT CAMP, Got to KEYBOARD and UNSELECT "Use all F1, F2, etc keys as standard function keys.

This fixed all function keys, lights etc for me ref. to the blog below!;)

......................................................................................................................................................................................
(Hey guys, I could really use some help here.

I've got a new 15" mbp that tonight I drove out with to the apple store. Everything was working....I thought. Long drive back home. Open up my computer, try to adjust screen brightness...nothing. Try to adjust volume. Nothing. None of the function keys work. The eject button works, and strangely enough, the F12 button which should raise the volume also tries to eject. The pause button brings up the spaces window (showing all four spaces).

As for your F keys, go to System Preferences --> Keyboard & Mouse and make sure "Use all F keys as standard function keys" is unticked. )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.