Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

Old Nov 30, 2003, 10:36 AM   #1
Ben Kei
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Ben Kei
AppleUSBAudio.kext removal quastion

OK, I've not tried removing extensions from the system->library->extensions folder until now....

I'm working on a project using MAX/MSP and Jitter (one for Audio/MIDI the other for video input).

I have a problem in that I need to run both a webcam at the same time as an audio input/output through a sound card (m-audio Delata44).

The problem comes when I enable video input, as the webcam (USB) has a built in mic it over rides my delta44 cards drivers.

This makes my task impossible!

I'm already using a general user webcam driver (http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/) so I checked their site for info on disabling sound input from webcams.

They said their drivers don't support USB Audio and that it is covered in the Apple native AppleUSBAudio.kext driver.

I tried to move it to another folder but it won't let me... I hardly ever use OSX... I'm still stuck in good old os9!!

If anyone knows how I can remove/rename/delete the USB Audio extension I'd be hugely greatful.

I've got no disks to boot from though cos they're locked in my locker at work and I can't get them until Thursday! (4 more days!) and I took the time off to work on my programming piece.

Cheers.
Ben Kei is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2003, 10:51 AM   #2
Wes
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to Wes Send a message via AIM to Wes Send a message via MSN to Wes Send a message via Yahoo to Wes
Re: AppleUSBAudio.kext removal quastion

Ok, I think this will do it,

Go to Applications: Utilities: Netinfo

At the top go to security, authenticate, then go back there again enable root user.

Once you have enabled the root user, log out, at the login menu, click the other option, Username: root , Password: whatever you chose.

You should now be able to edit system files.

If not, sorry I couldn't help.
Wes is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2003, 10:58 AM   #3
Ben Kei
macrumors regular

I'm gonna go give that a try...

Cheers!
Ben Kei is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2003, 12:03 PM   #4
Ben Kei
macrumors regular

Worked a treat... cheers!
Ben Kei is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2003, 12:11 PM   #5
Wes
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to Wes Send a message via AIM to Wes Send a message via MSN to Wes Send a message via Yahoo to Wes
Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kei
Worked a treat... cheers!
Good to hear it! When you are done playing with the system you might want to turn off the root user (Go to netinfo, authenticate, then disable the root user).
Wes is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion