Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e.zaharias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
My youtube crawls at all times. It is as if I have 52k connection. Actually it is even worse. It takes about ten minutes to load a 1 minute video.
I have an 8mbps connection that I regularly speedtest at over 6.5mbps. I download files at over 800Kb per second.
Renting movies is instant and previews on the atv load extremely fast.
Youtube is very fast on my powerbook. On the atv it is totally unusable. And that's where I want it to work.
Any thoughts?

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
I have found the speed of YouTube via Apple TV to vary wildly. At times, a video will load virtually immediately but at other times it will take much, much longer and occasionally not load at all. I have no idea what the problem is, other than the suspicion that it’s related to how high the demand is on the YouTube servers at a given moment.

mrrory

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2005
United Kingdom of America
I have found the speed of YouTube via Apple TV to vary wildly. At times, a video will load virtually immediately but at other times it will take much, much longer and occasionally not load at all.

I have this same problem. Frustrating at times. I also find the same problem on my iPhone even when connected to broadband.

e.zaharias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
Well glad to see I'm not alone with this problem. As it seems widespread I guess apple and /or google will move to solve it. Thanks for the replies guys.

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
YouTube over my AppleTV is strange, to say the least. Some vids play perfectly fine, and others simply freeze (stop downloading at 2:00 and some odd seconds). I know the connection is working because I can go to my iMac and download webpages while the AppleTV is still trying to download the movie...

It's very frustrating, especially when you have guests over and they're watching the videos with you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.