Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mktb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Hi all,

I've been having freezing issues with OS X Leopard 10.5.3 that have been happening since 10.5.0. Every day (not exaggerating - literally every day) my Mac freezes for about 15 seconds, unfreezes for about 5, and then freezes again for 15, etc.

Here is a video of this basically happening:
http://www.viddler.com/explore/markbao/videos/6/

I can move the mouse, but clicking and keyboard usage is backed up, such that if I keep typing when it is frozen, it will show what I have typed when it unfreezes. Activity Monitor always shows kernel_task as the problem, taking up the entire CPU when it is in these 15 second freezing cycles, which doesn't really help.

Sometimes this goes on for about 10 or so cycles and then it just completely freezes, sometimes it's completely frozen after just one. In either case, the only way to fix it is to force restart, as I had done in the video.

Specs: MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz Penryn (Early 2008) - No, I do NOT have Parallels installed. OS X Leopard 10.5.3. Apple Hardware Test passed, no issues.

Any ideas? Thank you!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Have you looked at Activity Monitor to see what's running and using resources?

mktb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Have you looked at Activity Monitor to see what's running and using resources?

Yes, updated post to reflect that. Activity Monitor shows kernel_task as taking up the entire CPU, which doesn't help since kernel_task is basically the system running. Thanks for the reply.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
To be fair, you modified your dock and you should take haxies into consideration when you have problems. I also see other transparencies that are not stock OS X.

mktb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
To be fair, you modified your dock and you should take haxies into consideration when you have problems. I also see other transparencies that are not stock OS X.

Yes, I did change my dock background, but this has been a problem far before I did that. I don't know what other transparencies are non-OS X, though.

Thanks for the reply.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Why did you not return it to Apple when the problems started? Had you done so in the 14 days after you purchased it you would have got a brand new one, or a full refund.

This does sound like a hardware issue, so return it to Apple and I'm sure they will fix it. Have you attempted a reinstall? Is your RAM third party? Have you run the Apple hardware test to check for errors?

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Yes, I did change my dock background, but this has been a problem far before I did that. I don't know what other transparencies are non-OS X, though.

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry about that, I just looked at the video again, I misunderstood what I saw, I only notice the dock changes. You could have faulty ram installed. Yes Apple could have given faulty ram from the factory. If you are certain it's not ram you should definitely get in touch with Apple. Sorry that you are having difficulties, I know how that feels to get something new and it's not working well. Don't lose faith in the Mac experience as the OS is the best out there but this is a hardware issue, keep us updated.

mktb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
3rd party RAM? Stock RAM?
Does it do it when you're logged in as another user?

No 3rd party RAM. This is a stock machine.

Don't have another user, can't work in another user. Maybe will try leaving it on overnight though.

Thanks!

mktb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Why did you not return it to Apple when the problems started? Had you done so in the 14 days after you purchased it you would have got a brand new one, or a full refund.

This does sound like a hardware issue, so return it to Apple and I'm sure they will fix it. Have you attempted a reinstall? Is your RAM third party? Have you run the Apple hardware test to check for errors?

Haven't attempted reinstall yet. Don't want to go to that, but I'm expecting it will.

Not a RAM problem.

Will run HW test right now.

I can't send this in - I work on this machine daily. Thanks for your suggestions!

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
No 3rd party RAM. This is a stock machine.

Don't have another user, can't work in another user. Maybe will try leaving it on overnight though.

Thanks!

:confused: Why can't you just create a different user account and use it for some non-work activities and see if the problem still exists? The way you worded your original post, it sounds like the issue occurs regardless of your open application.

mktb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Run an Apple Hardware Test.

Insert your install disc #1 and restart holding down "D".

Thanks. I did so, returned that there were no issues found with HW. Definitely SW then, so I'm somewhat happy.

:confused: Why can't you just create a different user account and use it for some non-work activities and see if the problem still exists? The way you worded your original post, it sounds like the issue occurs regardless of your open application.

This happens once every 20-24 hours, and I do work on this laptop. Thanks, though.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
About this Mac > More Info > Software > Logs > System.log and error log

Might see a dyld cache retry or samba error happening when the system is freezing for that period.

Or might be one of the machines where spotlight has been hanging.

mktb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
About this Mac > More Info > Software > Logs > System.log and error log

Might see a dyld cache retry or samba error happening when the system is freezing for that period.

Or might be one of the machines where spotlight has been hanging.

Thanks. At the end of my video, I recorded some futile attempts to catch what was going on in Console, :p. Didn't find anything suspicious.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Thanks. At the end of my video, I recorded some futile attempts to catch what was going on in Console, :p. Didn't find anything suspicious.

The ones I mentioned were the biggies, have you done the font validation and font cache scrub yet?

TH-Gunner

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2008
Run Onyx and do a system cleaning.

If worse comes to worst, do an archive-and-install reinstall. It really doesn't sound like a hardware problem.

ElectricSheep

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Wilmington, DE
Alternatively, install the Developer Tools and use the Shark tool to run a system trace when the machine begins to freeze.

Shark will let you see a detailed breakdown of where the kernel is spending its time.

rev316

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2004
I've had a similar issue come up with one of my machines.

So I got sick of it and I'm making Apple "repair" it.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR

Create one and use it.

The point of this troubleshooting step is to determine if the problem is system-wide or relegated solely to your user. This helps narrow down the expansive list of variables that effect machine performance.

killerwhack

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
Los Angeles, California
Check system log for disk errors

I have seen similar behaviour with the system hard disk going bad. The error rate slowly increased to make the problem increasingly severe.

check the system log for errors logged by the kernel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.