Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jun 7, 2008, 06:51 PM   #1
MattG
macrumors 68040

Two outputs at once...can I?

I currently have my AppleTV connected to my TV via HDMI, which takes care of audio and video when I'm watching a movie or listening to music (the TV is connected to my receiver). However, this means in order to listen to music, my TV has to be on...all the time, not just for selecting the music. Before I go pulling all my equipment apart, does anyone know if I can have both the HDMI and the optical-out connected at once, and will the signal be sent to both? When I'm just playing music through iTunes, I'd like to just listen to the signal being sent through the optical-out so I don't have to turn my TV on.
MattG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 01:17 AM   #2
skyote
macrumors newbie

Yes you can.

My home theater has only pass through HDMI, so I only get video through it. So, I have my HDMI and optical audio hooked to my home theater. If I want to listen to music, I can just turn on my home theater amp and listen to music. My TV can remain off. Hope this helps.
skyote is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 08:32 AM   #3
sandman42
macrumors 6502a

You should be able to. People have previously posted that all the audio outputs (HDMI, RCA, optical) are 'live' simultaneously, so you can connect whatever combination of them you need.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater