Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
I currently have my AppleTV connected to my TV via HDMI, which takes care of audio and video when I'm watching a movie or listening to music (the TV is connected to my receiver). However, this means in order to listen to music, my TV has to be on...all the time, not just for selecting the music. Before I go pulling all my equipment apart, does anyone know if I can have both the HDMI and the optical-out connected at once, and will the signal be sent to both? When I'm just playing music through iTunes, I'd like to just listen to the signal being sent through the optical-out so I don't have to turn my TV on.

skyote

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2008
Yes you can.

My home theater has only pass through HDMI, so I only get video through it. So, I have my HDMI and optical audio hooked to my home theater. If I want to listen to music, I can just turn on my home theater amp and listen to music. My TV can remain off. Hope this helps.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
You should be able to. People have previously posted that all the audio outputs (HDMI, RCA, optical) are 'live' simultaneously, so you can connect whatever combination of them you need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.