Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jun 7, 2008, 10:12 PM   #1
ixi
macrumors newbie

Can I connect my iphone to a computer monitor to surf the web?

Hi, probably been asked but I couldn't find any answers.

Can I connect my iphone to a computer monitor somehow? I'd love to have just a monitor in my RV and plug in my iphone for simple web browsing. Is this possible? Thanks.
ixi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2008, 10:13 PM   #2
eye.surgeon
macrumors 6502

Not possible.
eye.surgeon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2008, 10:17 PM   #3
ixi
macrumors newbie

not possible....yet, or never.
ixi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2008, 10:55 PM   #4
jpqsmex
macrumors newbie

doesn't there is a dock conection to plug it to a tv?
jpqsmex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2008, 11:03 PM   #5
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SFStateStudent Send a message via Yahoo to SFStateStudent Send a message via Skype™ to SFStateStudent
Not possible yet, so far, maybe in the future. It's not like the classic iPod where you can get the plug-in to the iPod earphone plug-in and then hook-up the white, yellow and red wire to your TV.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 11:06 PM   #6
neven
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpqsmex View Post
I believe this will only let you see videos played on the iPhone, not the interface itself, Safari, etc.

It seems like it would be pretty weird to try using an iPhone while looking at another screen. How would you know where to tap?
neven is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 10:15 AM   #7
akm3
macrumors 68020

Will this be possible with 3.0? Right now Im posting this from an internet explorer within a citrix desktop on my ipod touch . If I could 'dock' this to a keyboard, mouse, and external monitor, this ipod touch could literally be my work laptop! That is very exciting to me.
Old May 19, 2009, 11:39 AM   #8
jajohns8
macrumors regular

I purchased the composite cables (30 pin connector to the red, yellow, white RCA? type plugs) from an Apple store so I could watch video on different TVs while traveling.

I can confirm that only the IPOD video on my IPhone actually works on the TV. (No safari, etc.)

Actually, I tried playing audio from the Ipod on the IPhone through the TV and that does not seem to work.
Would be REALLY nice to get audio and maybe the photo album slideshow.
Would be great if all output could be viewed on a monitor/TV.

The video, even on a big screen TV (I think what we were watching last night was > 40 ") looked very good.
(I had thought the resolution would be pretty bad, but it was actually pretty good.)

Last edited by jajohns8; May 19, 2009 at 11:47 AM.
jajohns8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 12:10 PM   #9
macuser154
macrumors 6502

Someone released an App that allowed you to share your iPhone's connection. But it got pulled fast. So I guess you won't be able to in the future.
Old May 19, 2009, 12:12 PM   #10
Drumjim85
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by macuser154 View Post
Someone released an App that allowed you to share your iPhone's connection. But it got pulled fast. So I guess you won't be able to in the future.
He's not asking about tethering, he's asking about screen sharing..

It can be done somehow. Apple does it with their presentations. But I'm sure it's some hacked modded iphone.
Old May 19, 2009, 12:15 PM   #11
ppool123
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixi View Post

Can I connect my iphone to a computer monitor somehow? I'd love to have just a monitor in my RV and plug in my iphone for simple web browsing. Is this possible? Thanks.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but how would this make web browsing simple. If you connected your iPhone to a monitor you would have to look at your iPhone to type or make any kind of input. It would be pointless.
ppool123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 01:30 PM   #12
thelordnyax
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumjim85 View Post
He's not asking about tethering, he's asking about screen sharing..

It can be done somehow. Apple does it with their presentations. But I'm sure it's some hacked modded iphone.
i think he is talking about tethering...maybe just didn't quite know how to say it...
but yeah, with iPhone OS 3.0 you will be able to, or if you were fortunate enough to get Netshare when it was up, and are savvy enough to set it up, you can do it
thelordnyax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 01:54 PM   #13
Niiro13
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Niiro13 Send a message via MSN to Niiro13 Send a message via Yahoo to Niiro13
Quote:

With 3.0, you can connect your iPhone to your laptop and surf the internet while on the road (and connect the laptop to another monitor if you want).

If you wanted the iPhone to go straight to the monitor, then that's different. You wouldn't be able to (Apple uses a modified iPhone in their keynotes).
Niiro13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 05:01 PM   #14
macintosh.apple
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpqsmex View Post
seriously?
macintosh.apple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 05:05 PM   #15
Andrew K.
macrumors 65816

Quote:
not possible....yet, or never.
that was redundant
Old Dec 18, 2009, 06:23 PM   #16
cetacean2
macrumors newbie

I would like to hook my iphone up to my computer screen

I would like to hook my iphone up to my computer screen to look at certain apps on a larger screen such as workout apps and such.
cetacean2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2010, 04:18 PM   #17
Theo1231231
macrumors newbie

Talking Hey

Hey, in answer to your question, 'is it possible to Connect iPhone to monitor,.
Well a few weeks ago I asked myself that verry question. So I researched it online for a while and the closest thing I got is this, you can wirelessly connect it to your computer via wifi with something called veency, you can surf the web, view pictures ect on ur pc and it can control your iPhone with ur pc, it's pretty cool. Just do a YouTube search for veency and follow a tutorial. Please tell me if this infomation was helpfull. Thnx
Theo1231231 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:04 PM   #18
hand
macrumors newbie

iPhone to external monitor thoughts

Some thoughts.

iPhone dock to HDMI with dock pass through for charge and sync.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC953ZM/A

iPhone dock to VGA.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC...co=MTY3ODQ5OTY

Apple AV Dock
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Connecti.../dp/B000E5XHGK

Apple dock with S-Video
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Dock-iPo.../dp/B0007KX4UQ

Apple dock with component video
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC917ZM/A

I'm also trying to figure out if I can go to a pivoting portrait mode monitor, leave the iPhone in portrait, use the iPhone as the touch interface, use an Apple bluetooth keyboard and then I will finally be able to use my iPhone as my only computer. Nice!
hand is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting