Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ixi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Hi, probably been asked but I couldn't find any answers.

Can I connect my iphone to a computer monitor somehow? I'd love to have just a monitor in my RV and plug in my iphone for simple web browsing. Is this possible? Thanks.

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
doesn't there is a dock conection to plug it to a tv?

I believe this will only let you see videos played on the iPhone, not the interface itself, Safari, etc.

It seems like it would be pretty weird to try using an iPhone while looking at another screen. How would you know where to tap?

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Will this be possible with 3.0? Right now Im posting this from an internet explorer within a citrix desktop on my ipod touch . If I could 'dock' this to a keyboard, mouse, and external monitor, this ipod touch could literally be my work laptop! That is very exciting to me.

jajohns8

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008
I purchased the composite cables (30 pin connector to the red, yellow, white RCA? type plugs) from an Apple store so I could watch video on different TVs while traveling.

I can confirm that only the IPOD video on my IPhone actually works on the TV. (No safari, etc.)

Actually, I tried playing audio from the Ipod on the IPhone through the TV and that does not seem to work.
Would be REALLY nice to get audio and maybe the photo album slideshow.
Would be great if all output could be viewed on a monitor/TV.

The video, even on a big screen TV (I think what we were watching last night was > 40 ") looked very good.
(I had thought the resolution would be pretty bad, but it was actually pretty good.)

macuser154

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2009
UK
Someone released an App that allowed you to share your iPhone's connection. But it got pulled fast. So I guess you won't be able to in the future.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
Someone released an App that allowed you to share your iPhone's connection. But it got pulled fast. So I guess you won't be able to in the future.

He's not asking about tethering, he's asking about screen sharing..

It can be done somehow. Apple does it with their presentations. But I'm sure it's some hacked modded iphone.

ppool123

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2009

Can I connect my iphone to a computer monitor somehow? I'd love to have just a monitor in my RV and plug in my iphone for simple web browsing. Is this possible? Thanks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but how would this make web browsing simple. If you connected your iPhone to a monitor you would have to look at your iPhone to type or make any kind of input. It would be pointless.

thelordnyax

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2008
He's not asking about tethering, he's asking about screen sharing..

It can be done somehow. Apple does it with their presentations. But I'm sure it's some hacked modded iphone.

i think he is talking about tethering...maybe just didn't quite know how to say it...
but yeah, with iPhone OS 3.0 you will be able to, or if you were fortunate enough to get Netshare when it was up, and are savvy enough to set it up, you can do it

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois

With 3.0, you can connect your iPhone to your laptop and surf the internet while on the road (and connect the laptop to another monitor if you want).

If you wanted the iPhone to go straight to the monitor, then that's different. You wouldn't be able to (Apple uses a modified iPhone in their keynotes).

cetacean2

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2009
I would like to hook my iphone up to my computer screen

I would like to hook my iphone up to my computer screen to look at certain apps on a larger screen such as workout apps and such.

Theo1231231

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2010
Hey

Hey, in answer to your question, 'is it possible to Connect iPhone to monitor,.
Well a few weeks ago I asked myself that verry question. So I researched it online for a while and the closest thing I got is this, you can wirelessly connect it to your computer via wifi with something called veency, you can surf the web, view pictures ect on ur pc and it can control your iPhone with ur pc, it's pretty cool. Just do a YouTube search for veency and follow a tutorial. Please tell me if this infomation was helpfull. Thnx :D

hand

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2004
iPhone to external monitor thoughts

Some thoughts.

iPhone dock to HDMI with dock pass through for charge and sync.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC953ZM/A

iPhone dock to VGA.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC552ZM/B?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

Apple AV Dock
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Connection-iPod-Connector-White/dp/B000E5XHGK

Apple dock with S-Video
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Dock-iPod-4G-White/dp/B0007KX4UQ

Apple dock with component video
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC917ZM/A

I'm also trying to figure out if I can go to a pivoting portrait mode monitor, leave the iPhone in portrait, use the iPhone as the touch interface, use an Apple bluetooth keyboard and then I will finally be able to use my iPhone as my only computer. Nice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.