Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dj.paterson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
Hi,

I am considering purchasing a Mac Pro, mainly for encoding movies via handbrake.

Could someone tell me the time it takes for a base configuration Mac Pro single quad 2.8ghz to rip a DVD using handbrake to H.264 for appleTV?

Much appreciated.

Also does ram make any difference to the speed, or is all about processor?

utekineir

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
2 ish hours give or take. I use higher settings than the apple tv preset and they finish around that i think, and thats doing 3 at a time.

You keep on looking for specific information like theres someone here who can give you exact numbers and benchmarks for a varying situation that you aren't clear in defining.

Different movies are different lengths. Different settings take different amounts of time.

In your other thread you said you had a number of dvds to encode.

Is this, 30, 50, hundreds? Is it just encoding netflix/blockbuster movies as they come in?

For personal use if you just want to encode a movie at a time an imac like you had mentioned in your other thread a couple hours ago will be fine, and save you money.

Once again, a mac pro will is not signifigantly faster over an imac for one encode at a time considering the difference in price.

If you want to run 2 or more encodes at once or still use the computer for other tasks without any real slowdown while encoding a mac pro will blow away what an imac or mac mini is capable of. Only one instance of handbrake will not take advantage of all a mac pro can do.

But if theres only a finite number of encodes to be performed and theres no actual reason for a rush does it matter? You'll finish eventually, and then you'll have an extra grand or two sitting idle waiting for more dvds. Rip them to your hard drive, que up a few while you sleep, a few while you're at work/school/etc during the day, whatever. Does a half hour or so difference in encode time matter when you don't have to sit there at the computer while it works?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
or build a *cough* hackintosh *cough* and get quad core power for a lot less

but if it were me and getting a real mac, id be opted to get an imac for cheaper as those are fast as well for handbrake

if you have a fast pc as well, handbrake is availiable for windows too

dj.paterson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
I have a collection of hundreds of DVDs to encode, after that, I will be getting about 10 dvd's to encode a week.

I really value your comments, and I think it would probably be best to purchase an iMac, and as you say, build up a collection of ripped files, and encode them during the night.

utekineir

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
What kind of timeframe do you want them all encoded in, and how much is money a factor in the decision?

If money is no object, go with an 8 core mac pro. Add on a dvd drive or two extra (internal or external), along with an extra hard drive or two. Rip movies to your hard drive, open 3-4 instances of handbrake and que up several in each. Hit start on each and smile.

If money is an object and you don't mind building a computer go with a quad core hackintosh.

If money is an issue and you don't want to dick around with building a computer get an imac and do a movie at a time.

Once you get the main part of movies completed 10 movies a week is nothing for an imac to handle, let alone a mac pro. My mac mini would do 6 or so a day if I kept its que full. On the other hand my mac pro does around 15 with better settings than the mini used while i sleep, let alone what it can do in a full day. However that means ripping first, and then having one dvd drive becomes the bottleneck. Take into account how long you want to spend encoding the hundreds of movies, how much thats worth to you, and wether it matters to have your money sitting mostly idle once that task is done.

dj.paterson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
Is it possible to add an external DVD drive to an iMac, and can an iMac handel ripping 2 dvds at a time?

utekineir

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
You should be able to rip 2 to the hard drive at once. Don't quote me on it though.

The advantage to that would be getting several movies on the drive faster to que for encoding later.

utekineir

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
With the iMac you should be able to rip 2 to the hard drive at once. Don't quote me on it though. Iirc mactheripper isn't massively taxing.

The advantage to that would be getting several movies on the drive faster to que for encoding later.

wpc33

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Wouldn't a dual-core, (but of course, 2 HD's), handle that nicely? I'm sure there is proof out there either way. Just my theory.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
With the iMac you should be able to rip 2 to the hard drive at once. Don't quote me on it though. Iirc mactheripper isn't massively taxing.

if he ripped both with mtr before using handbrake he could set up a que. if he is going straight from the dvd to handbrake, he can only handle one at a time

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
if he ripped both with mtr before using handbrake he could set up a que. if he is going straight from the dvd to handbrake, he can only handle one at a time

True and with the Mac Pro, if you have two super drives installed, you can use both at the same time with two copies of handbrake running at the same time ripping two DVDs at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.