Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

211326-slingbox_400.png

Engadget and Gizmodo have posted videos and screenshots of a "Proof of concept" version of the SlingPlayer for the iPhone and iPod Touch. The included video demonstrates how to stream video from your SlingBox, though not all options are presently enabled.
Once you connect to your Slingbox, you control channels with an on-screen remote whose buttons scroll horizontally at the bottom of the screen. There's also a scrollbar full of channel icons that provide shortcuts to specific stations. Video ran pretty smooth and looked good over a wi-fi connection. And it goes without saying, but Sling also has their fingers crossed for a 3G iPhone.
Sling Media sells the SlingBox which allows you to stream video from your home television over the internet to any supported device (Mac, PC, Mobile Phone). This native SlingPlayer port would bring that functionality to the iPhone. Unfortunately, SlingMedia has not yet been accepted into the iPhone developer program, but are targeting a "fall or winter" release.

Apple is expected to detail more about the iPhone Developer Program and the iTunes App Store on Monday, June 9th. We are providing keynote coverage at MacRumorsLive.com.

Article Link

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
That is awesome! Screw ATT's Tv service and whatever it costs, this is way better! Hope this makes it native soon!
With this you can watch ANY channel, Any DVR/Tivoed show, even DVDs on your iPhone, anywhere with wifi or 3g

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
How would streaming work over 3G? I have to assume that over WiFi it'd be pretty good. I've never used a Sling device so I don't know how good it is.

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
That is awesome! Screw ATT's Tv service and whatever it costs, this is way better! Hope this makes it native soon!
With this you can watch ANY channel, Any DVR/Tivoed show, even DVDs on your iPhone, anywhere with wifi or 3g

As I recall, the rules of the SDK do not allow streaming media over the carrier for 3rd-party apps, only via WiFi.

Although, we'll probably have a hack or settings workaround to allow this feature.

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
I assume that you would need new Sling hardware on the TV side. It would be great if the Slingbox could encode to H.264 and then the built-in decoders in the iPhone could decode them so you could get good battery life (though I would expect it would only last 3-4 hours).

I'd love to see a HDMI pass through, so I could use it with my TiVo HD.

PoitNarf

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2007
Northern NJ
How would streaming work over 3G? I have to assume that over WiFi it'd be pretty good. I've never used a Sling device so I don't know how good it is.

SlingPlayer mobile requires a minimum of 120Kbps, this is possible over EDGE but not consistent. 3G would have no problem maintaining at least a constant 120Kbps.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Unfortunately, SlingMedia has not yet been accepted into the iPhone developer program

Sigh.

Was there ever any official word on why the iPhone SDK was handed out so selectively? This whole thing about being accepted into the dev program is so elitist and snotty sounding that it annoys me every time I see a reminder of it. I don't get why Apple would do that but I sure hope they open the SDK up to everyone at some point. Sometimes the greatest ideas come from hobbyists tinkering around--no, scratch that, most of the great ideas come from hobbyists and non-pros. Apple shouldn't cut the iPhone off from that.

rolex54

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
Houston, TX
of all the people to be accepted they should definitely of been one. I have wanted slingplayer on my iphone ever since I got it

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
Sigh.
Was there ever any official word on why the iPhone SDK was handed out so selectively? This whole thing about being accepted into the dev program is so elitist and snotty sounding that it annoys me every time I see a reminder of it.
This sure bothers me a lot, since I'm working on two iPhone apps that need to be tested on the hardware itself, and I can't get in the program, though I've been a Mac developer for decades.

But I have hope! I believe they will open up the program perhaps Monday, surely by month's end. But that may be too late to have my apps ready for day one of the App Store, where I could have gotten, perhaps, lots of extra downloads from those looking for apps under their brand new App Store icon.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Sigh.

Was there ever any official word on why the iPhone SDK was handed out so selectively? This whole thing about being accepted into the dev program is so elitist and snotty sounding that it annoys me every time I see a reminder of it. I don't get why Apple would do that but I sure hope they open the SDK up to everyone at some point. Sometimes the greatest ideas come from hobbyists tinkering around--no, scratch that, most of the great ideas come from hobbyists and non-pros. Apple shouldn't cut the iPhone off from that.

The SDK -is- available to everyone. The limited enrollment is for the iPhone Dev Program, which allows you to test your apps on actual devices and distribute them via the App store.

There is nothing elitist or snobby about the way Apple is accepting people into the beta iPhone Dev program. In fact it appears to be the complete opposite, i.e. totally random*. I am a nobody hobbyist developer and I was accepted, presumably by chance. It will be open to everyone willing to pay the fee once the 2.0 firmware is no longer in beta- so very soon.

*I'm sure there are some big names that were hand selected (EA, AIM, etc.)

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
I'm not entirely sure how this works. Do you need a slingbox?

Yes. Here is an exmaple of how it be setup...
CableBox » (coax) » Slingbox » (Ethernet) » Router » (Internet) » iPhone​

The way the software works is that Slingbox tells an internet server your IP address and keeps it on file so when your mobile device's SlingBox app connects, it connects to the server with your username and password and gets the IP address, which it then connects directly too. This is great if your IP address changes; Back To My Mac works like this too.

The SlingBox has a cable with an infrared light on it so it can send commands to your cablebox to change the channel from your device, which it then changes the channel and streams it to your device.

Check out their website or a YouTube video on it.

PS: With the Windows and Mac apps, it also stream video and audio from your home computers.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
I'm not entirely sure how this works. Do you need a slingbox?

If you travel or just like to be able to watch your TV from where ever you are. :) I'm going to love the next time I forget to set my DVR to record something....WAIT, I'll fire up my iPhone and use the SlingPlayer to do it!

jersey

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
This could be so awesome...... too bad Apple seems to be stonewalling developers, even well known ones.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Ok, now that looks pretty slick. I'd LOVE to be able to DVR a bunch of stuff and "take it with me" on my iPhone. :)

I hope we see this soon!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.