Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c073186

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
I am planning on upgrading my PowerBook G4's memory but I do not know what a good amount is. Currently I have 512 MB and it is a little sluggish. The applications I want to run include all of iLife (except Garageband), Office 2008, iWork, Safari, Mail, and some other small ones. This is on Leopard. Would 1 GB be plenty or should I get 2 GB? Do the two sticks have to be the same size? Could I add a 1 GB to my current 512 MB or would that be bad?

steeler

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
You can add a 1GB stick and have 1.5GB total and it will work just fine. Make sure you get it from a good Mac RAM dealer as the PowerPC Macs are picky.

You could get 1GB now and see if that works out for you, then grab another 1GB stick in a month or two to replace your 512 if you think more is needed.

I like OWC as a source for RAM (macsales.com). Great, fast service, good prices, and they specialize for Mac users. There are other sources for Mac RAM (crucial, etc.).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.