Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Some of Apple's new products which are due in early July suggest we'll see two updates by then, one for Mac OS X and another for iTunes.

MobileMe's terms of service suggest that you need Mac OS X 10.5.4 as well as iTunes 7.7. Meanwhile, the system requirements for the iPhone 3G also list iTunes 7.7 as a requirement.

The current version of Mac OS X is 10.5.3 and was released only two weeks ago while iTunes is at version 7.6.

Article Link

Decrepit

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2007
Foothills to the Rocky Mountains
Apple's got their stuff together.

I had never considered a .Mac account. The announcement today ensured they're getting another chunk of my money.

So, I'll be upgrading to these versions as soon as they hit. I just hope they don't break 10.5.3, as they finally fixed one of my two complaints in their graphics fix for the G4 Mini.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
The iTunes requirement is fairly obvious for the iPhone, since it will need a new version for the App Store. But it seems surprising that MobileMe would need it.

And the 10.5.4 mention is also obvious, since they need to re-brand it from .Mac to MobileMe throughout the OS. It could be that that's all 10.5.4 contains, but it will probably contain other bugfixes, too.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
(Obnoxiousness removed from quoted post, P.S. the Apple logo with the code ": apple :" (without spaces,) renders at a fixed pixel size, regardless of what font size you ask for.)
As in NEW MACBOOK PROS?!

Um, no...

The new iPhone and the re-branded MobileMe, formerly .Mac. The announcement says that in the very next sentence.

While it is entirely possible, if not probable, that MacBook Pros are coming, that's not what is being referred to here.

ert3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
hope the update has more than just iPhone 2.0 compatibility.

anthonyjr

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
The update probably bundles all of the MobileMe program updates (Mail, iCal, etc.) together instead of having individual installers.

I'm just interested in what other fixes Apple is trying to iron out for the next release.

Steve Jobs=God

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2007
Was looking at the mobile me mail app, looks really nice and the quick reply feature looked really good, probably not right away, but can see Apple updating Mail to incorporate these features

mwp98223

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
Conway Washington
Was looking at the mobile me mail app, looks really nice and the quick reply feature looked really good, probably not right away, but can see Apple updating Mail to incorporate these features

I would think we will see that update (Mail) as well as iCal, iLife suite BEFORE mobileMe is released. Two reasons, 1) better integration, 2) feature compatibility, I just don't see Apple having the Mobileme webapps with features not found on in the desktop apps. I think we see a raft of updates before mobileme, or as someone posted above, perhaps in 10.5.4

vandozza

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2006
Australia
The update probably bundles all of the MobileMe program updates (Mail, iCal, etc.) together instead of having individual installers.

I think that this line of thought is correct.
There is no way that Apple will have separate installers for iCal, AB, and Mail.
Imagine the problems if someone is to update one and not the others, and wonders why MobileME or Exchange is not working properly with their iPhone.

My guess is that 10.5.4 will essentially be nothing but MobileME/Exchange support (+ whatever bugfixes that they have completed/QA'd till the code freeze/GM/release date.)

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2007
I expected lots of updates along with the new iPhone 3G and possibly less future support for PowerPC Macs, but...

Quicktime 7.5 for Mac OS X 10.3.9 PANTHER was released today and that also means iTunes 7.7 for Panther isn't too far behind either most likely.

Hmmm, a pleasant surprise for Panther owners. :)

And interestingly, that ALSO means Apple most likely will continue to provide Security updates for Panther since they are releasing software which could potentially pose new security threats for Panther owners.

Overall, I'd say good news if you're still running Panther.

I can only assume Apple has some data that tells them there is still a significant # of people using Panther. Why else would they bother?

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
Hmm. I'm seriously considering MobileMe, but requiring 10.5.4 pretty much rules out using it from my iBook. Oh well, I'm also seriously considering a Macbook to dual-boot Windows; this could force me over the edge.

Update: I just read the Terms of Service, and 10.4.11 is also supported. Cool.

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008

Some of Apple's new products which are due in early July suggest we'll see two updates by then, one for Mac OS X and another for iTunes.

MobileMe's terms of service suggest that you need Mac OS X 10.5.4 as well as iTunes 7.7. Meanwhile, the system requirements for the iPhone 3G also list iTunes 7.7 as a requirement.

The current version of Mac OS X is 10.5.3 and was released only two weeks ago while iTunes is at version 7.6.

Article Link

I guess we should see this at the end of this month or early July. I am interested in 10.5.4 and what it brings though.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
I would say they'll be looking to round up the widely reported issues with 10.5.3 ... and continuing to ignore the ones that I've reported, some, several times :).

• I can't browse FTP shares in the Finder GUI further than 4 directories down - attempting to causes the share to disconnect. No problems on Tiger, via the CLI or on Vista by boot camp.

• On wake from sleep the colour calibration sometimes reverts back to the nasty default 'Color LCD' - until I visit the Displays prefpane, at which point it wises up.

• The iTunes dashboard widget does not work, and it never really has. On its backside the 'playlists' dropdown simply does not drop down; the shuffle 'button' usually does not work, and can bring a crash notification, although this is not as easy to reproduce as it was under Tiger.

• The sidebar does not function correctly in open/save dialogs - items should not be highlighted as active unless they are being displayed, OR clicking them should always bring them into the view.

• Stacks still 'randomly' stop responding to clicks - right now this is fine on my machine but yesterday it was easy to reproduce.

• The menubar does not necessarily reflect the frontmost app. This is most easily seen with Entourage's desktop notification, but happens enough with Apple apps to be considered an OS issue. It never happened in Tiger or prior.

• The clock is still wrong due to timezones and EFI after restarting following a Windows/bootcamp session. Vista updates immediately on startup; Leopard doesn't seem to have a set time for updating, and reconfirming that you want to sync with a server does not fix it either - manual fix ftl, if you'll excuse the WoW parlance.

Then there are things like the repeatable Mail crash that was reported, and repeated after 10.5.3's release. I hope I can tick a few of these off in a few weeks' time; really glad they are moving things along :)!

amusiccale

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Having Panther support is interesting...at least to me it seems unlikely that the people still using Panther (and I include myself in this for my ibook g3) would be quick to move to an iPhone

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Won't require 10.5.4.

From Apple's own site at:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1932

"Which versions of Mac OS X does MobileMe work with?
On a Mac, MobileMe requires the latest versions of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard or Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger (use Software Update to update to the latest versions)."
It sounds like 10.5.4 will be released on or before July 11, because it says it requires the latest version of Leopard. .4 will likely add the MobileMe branding, which isn't in .3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.