Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2008
Spain
Not sure if this has been posted (I've done a search)

Just read on engadget that TomTom already has navigation software to run on the iPhone:

That sound you hear is the not-yet-released nüvifone trembling in fear, as TomTom has just announced that an iPhone-ready version of its famed navigation software is practically ready to rock 'n roll. More specifically, a TomTom spokesman was quoted as saying that its "navigation system runs on the iPhone already," and he made the statement hot on the heels of the iPhone 3G announcement. Sadly, he wouldn't disclose an estimated release date for the software, but it's safe to say that the TomTom touch could make Apple's darling a formidable nüvifone opponent.

Link: http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/09/tomtom-already-has-iphone-navigation-software-ready-to-roll/

Thoughts?

Elsewhere

macrumors member
May 20, 2008
GPS is one of the reasons why I waited and did not buy the first generation iPhone.

As soon as I can, I want to buy the iPhone and navigation software be it TomTom, Garmin or any other reputable navigation company... then sell my current TomTom device. :cool:

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
how much data is their nav going to take up?

The reason apple went with an assisted gps is to use the internet for the maps while using the gps for coordination. it takes up no space.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
TomTom Navigation Software Coming to iPhone

033511-tomtom.png

After today's announcements that the new iPhone 3G will have hardware GPS included, TomTom announced that they already have a version of their navigation software running on the Apple iPhone and plans on selling it to consumers.
"Our navigation system runs on the iPhone already," the TomTom spokesman said after Apple announced a new version of the iPhone that will include global positioning (GPS) capability.
TomTom is a manufacturer of car navigation systems (see above) and software.

Article Link

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
for the current iphone right?nice...if so

If you mean the one that is already available then, no, but the new 3G phone yes.

It wasn't too long ago when TomTom said they weren't going to produce an iPhone version of Navigator! Guess they were just waiting for yesterday. But this is one of the main apps I want, and if it's got the new IQ routes, I don't need that Go 530 after all....

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
Am I the only one that sees no point in this app??? Google Maps can track you via GPS and give you turn by turn directions, why would I pay for this? :confused:

Anyone?

g8bo

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2008
Switzerland - Zug
maybe because you can load the maps on your iPhone over iTunes and not over 3G... that's very useful if you're going to a trip outside the 3G-coverage!

waqal25

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2008
Am I the only one that sees no point in this app??? Google Maps can track you via GPS and give you turn by turn directions, why would I pay for this? :confused:

Anyone?

Google Maps doesn't have turn by turn directions (audio) as a traditional GPS. Wouldn't you want your iPhone to be ALL in one device.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium

Anyone?

What waqal25 said :D

Google Maps in no way can compare to a true satnav solution - no IQ routes, no shareable routes etc. I can see this working worderfully with the handful of iPhone FM transmitter docks that have just been released. Plus I can have John Cleese giving me directions :D

Optimus Frag

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2008
North Yorkshire, England
This really is the killer app. When i first heard that the rumour that GPS was likely to be on the 3G iphone, I was thinking Tom Tom and sat nav. With data updates over the air and 3G speeds to download them and unlimited data on iphone tariffs, who is going to need anything else. Plus it will work when your on foot. You will never have to ask for directions again!! This is what is making the new v2 software exciting. The flexibility that it affords to the phone MORE than makes up for any quibbles that anyone has about no video conferencing and 'only' a 2MP camera.

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London

I have a Tom Tom 520. The software is excellent (if a bit bloated). In addition to the navigation, which kicks the butt of every other SatNav I've tried, it also warns you about speed cameras (even temporary ones), and can automatically route you around traffic jams before you hit them.

The problem at the moment is that my TT520 needs to use a mobile phone as a bluetooth modem to get traffic & speed camera updates. You can't use the iPhone as a modem.

If the TomTom software for the iPhone is as good as for their standalone units, I'll be very very happy. :D

SL

senorFunkyPants

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
England
Grrr...I had managed to convince myself that I didn't need to upgrade to the new iPhone even with it having GPS but the addition of Tomtom might be too much to resist!
Do you think that you would be able to have music playing and GPS/Tomtom running at the same time?

alexboy45

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
how much data is their nav going to take up?

The reason apple went with an assisted gps is to use the internet for the maps while using the gps for coordination. it takes up no space.

it may not take up any data. if it is like the windows mobile one the map is installed on to the phone. could be wrong though

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
it may not take up any data. if it is like the windows mobile one the map is installed on to the phone. could be wrong though

You got him backwards. He wants to know how much space the maps will take up on the phone, as opposed to just downloading them on the fly.

I don't necessarily want a gig of maps on my phone al the time.

MacMalv

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
England
all sounds great, but how much do you think it will cost. I doubt TomTom will want to undercut there own product by only charging $10!?!

senorFunkyPants

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
England
It should just be a reworked version of Tomtom Navigator for the PDA which is all installed on the hardware....the application itself is very small..a few MBs and The UK map for version 5 is 100mb...so it wouldn't take up too much space on the iphone.

JasonK

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008
Eugene, OR
Grrr...I had managed to convince myself that I didn't need to upgrade to the new iPhone even with it having GPS but the addition of Tomtom might be too much to resist!
Do you think that you would be able to have music playing and GPS/Tomtom running at the same time?

Yes, because the iphone can run multiple apps at the same time, "on top of each other" it will be doable. Looking forward to this feature!

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Assuming it all works as you'd expect and doesn't need gigabytes of storage, this is the kind of app that will make the iPhone a formidable platform in its own right. I was a little disappointed with the apps demoed yesterday but this would fly of the shelves.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003

Well that would be ideal - I'm sure a load of people have car kits and use their iPhone as an iPod through the stereo in their car. If you can have TomTom running at the same time, that's yet another device you can throw out!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.