Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JakeM3tz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2003
When i try to boot up it goes through everything ok but stops when it says "Starting Apache Web Server" im on 10.2.8 and have never had this problem before

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Does it ever make it to the login window or desktop?

If you can eventually log in, check your Console logs for the system startup and httpd (Apache) logs to see what's happening.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Hmmm, that makes it a bit trickier.

Have you changed any Apache settings lately that could account for that?

The only thing that comes to mind is to log into single-user mode (hold command+s at startup) and try to edit the Apache config file (httpd.conf) from the command line.

If you have OS 9 on the system you might be able to fix things from there, too.

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Hmmm, that makes it a bit trickier.

Have you changed any Apache settings lately that could account for that?

The only thing that comes to mind is to log into single-user mode (hold command+s at startup) and try to edit the Apache config file (httpd.conf) from the command line.

If you have OS 9 on the system you might be able to fix things from there, too.

Easier still, go into single user mode (command s at startup as stated), and edit /etc/hostconfig.

Change WEBSERVER to -NO-

This will stop Apache from starting up. Then you can debug it from there, by using terminal and running 'apachectl start' and it should output those errors to the terminal screen.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Thanks for that tip.

I knew there was a config file for the system prefs somewhere, but wasn't sure of the exact location.

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Thanks for that tip.

I knew there was a config file for the system prefs somewhere, but wasn't sure of the exact location.

I stumbled across that when I was messing with my system one time when I was trying to hack something on my system.. Who knows, I can't even remember what I was doing. :)

Tom

JakeM3tz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2003
now it stops at "Starting timed execution services"
i dunno what to do!?!?!?!?!?!

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Originally posted by JakeM3tz
now it stops at "Starting timed execution services"
i dunno what to do!?!?!?!?!?!

It sounds to me as if your networking has been corrupted. If you boot into single user mode and take a peek at /etc/hostconfig again, what do you have set to -YES-?

Here's one from our G4:

HOSTNAME=-AUTOMATIC-
ROUTER=-AUTOMATIC-

# Services
AFPSERVER=-YES-
AUTHSERVER=-NO-
AUTOMOUNT=-YES-
CUPS=-YES-
IPFORWARDING=-NO-
IPV6=-YES-
MAILSERVER=-AUTOMATIC-
NETINFOSERVER=-AUTOMATIC-
NFSLOCKS=-AUTOMATIC-
NISDOMAIN=-NO-
RPCSERVER=-AUTOMATIC-
TIMESYNC=-NO-
QTSSERVER=-NO-
WEBSERVER=-NO-
SMBSERVER=-NO-
DNSSERVER=-NO-
COREDUMPS=-NO-
VPNSERVER=-NO-
CRASHREPORTER=-YES-
ARDAGENT=-YES-

The other thing you might want to do is run 'fsck -y' while in single user mode to fix any file problems that may be happening.

JakeM3tz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2003
ill try to get mine to do that but i cant figure out how to edit that file? i tried vi but it wont let me delete characters, any idea y?

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
ill try to get mine to do that but i cant figure out how to edit that file? i tried vi but it wont let me delete characters, any idea y?

You'll have to do:

cd /etc
sudo vi hostconfig

Enter your password and away you go.

JakeM3tz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2003
ok is there another editor or do i have to use vi? it will let me type all kinds of stuff but when i try to backspace it just goes back one charachter without moving or deleting anything. i tried to "man vi" to read the manual but no use, just made me madder. please help!

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I use pico (don't laugh). I haven't spent the time to learn vi and just want to get in and modify the files quickly.

You might want to give it a shot.

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
I use pico (don't laugh). I haven't spent the time to learn vi and just want to get in and modify the files quickly.

You might want to give it a shot.

I don't laugh at things like that.... People have preferences, and as long as it gets the job done, who cares how you did it. :)

Some vi commands:

x - deletes one character to the right
X - deletes one character to the left
a - appends after the character you are on
A - appends after the entire line
i - Inserts at the the character you are on
I - inserts at the beginning of the line
dd - deletes entire line
$ - go to end of line
G - go to end of file
<number>command - repeat command that number of times
:<number> - go to line number :)0 takes you to the beginning of the file)
:wq! - write file, even if read-only, and quit
:q! - exit without saving changes

There are two modes in vi: command and edit. Edit mode is simply where you have hit one of the append or insert commands. To go back to command mode, hit ESC. Now lets say you want to delete 5 lines, hit 5dd. Delete 5 characters to the right, hit 5x.

Enjoy!

JakeM3tz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2003
ok i used pico and it works fine but it stops at timed execution services still. i remember deleting apaches httpd.conf (i think thats what its called) umm does it need that to start up if i changed the webserver to -NO-?

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
ok i used pico and it works fine but it stops at timed execution services still. i remember deleting apaches httpd.conf (i think thats what its called) umm does it need that to start up if i changed the webserver to -NO-?

Did you happen to delete other files as well?

The timed service is not dependent upon Apache's httpd.conf file.

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
that and all the files in that folder

Which folder? I'll check what files are in there, and if you want I can tar them up and send them to you. I've never done anything with mine; they are just default panther files.

JakeM3tz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2003
yea that would be great but i dunno which folder it would be. dont bother im just gonna get panther for christmas and do a clean install. ill just get all my files by booting into firewire mode or w/e its called.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.